Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers On Strike Tomorrow.

barryk32

That's what happens when schools are judged on their grades rather than the education the kid receives. Twatting about with the name of the qualifications isn't going to sort it.

I've worked with folk who could solve massively complex equations til the cows come home but give em summert practical to do and they're stumped.

I've met site foremen with way more 'intelligence' than engineers but academically they'd struggle. Making folk like that sit exams rather than practical and coursework based qualifications is marking them as thick and condeming them to failing.

I have also worked with site foremen and machine drivers who are more 'intelligent' than engineers - my dad being one of them.

I'm all for practical based qualifications.

Irrelevant.

That's not why they are striking and you know it.

If they went in strike to highlight violence in their workplace they might have some sympathy.

But they're not.

They're striking because they're a set of fucking mard arses who think they are immune from everything the recession had thrown at everyone else.

I never mentioned the strike, nor have I tried to defend it.  I replied to the assertion that 'all teachers are scum'.

I never mentioned the strike, nor have I tried to defend it.  I replied to the assertion that 'all teachers are scum'.

Fair enough, and I agree they're not all scum. Far from it, but that's more likely Birch taking the piss ;)

I agree that the job of school is to make sure they can read and write. I have worked for the last 9 years in a secondary school that has faced those prejudices re catchment areas. 99% of the staff are very hard working. I've worked in the private sector and seen loads of people do as little as possible and get away with it.  

The unions have handled things badly but my reason for striking is more to do with Gove's reforms and in particular the decision to give head teachers and governing bodies freedom with performance related pay.  

My departments results are the best in the authority - and in a subject that is still recognised as difficult. Therefore, you would assume that I would be happy with performance related pay. I know that there are factors in each school which influence results. I also know that head teachers are very different in the way they run schools. As in any job, often it's a case of if your face fits that determines how high up the ladder you go.

Your point about the contrasting schools highlights this. I have taught in both types of school, The staff in both would say they work harder than the other. In my experience, the more challenging the school, the more hard working the staff.

I'm not sure it is what you do Smiffs but students would benefit from hearing about the difficulties in running a business and other career paths if you ever fancied popping into a local secondary school?

I'd be up for that but I'm not sure your Head would appreciate me telling folk with little chance of going to Uni, to fuck school off and find a job on a building site. :D

I'd be up for that but I'm not sure your Head would appreciate me telling folk with little chance of going to Uni, to fuck school off and find a job on a building site. :D

I'd certainly have benefited from summert along those lines.

Went down the academic route and fucked about for 3 yrs ran up masses of debts. Dropped out and went into a trainee/ apprentice deal and it was right up my street. Everything at high school was geared towards getting you on to a levels and then college was pushing you to fill in your ucas form and go to uni.

Dunno if it's still the same.

Regardless, I do think its a schools job to make sure kids can read and write, and prepare them academically for later life. Social skills and the rest is the parents job.

Maybe that's just me though.

That's very much where I'm at.  I don't have kids though so my opinion is null and void.

We are all missing the point which is....

These cunts think they have the hardest job in the world and should be compensated better than most others and given a higher degree of respect within the community because they teach rather than build houses etc etc.

I say fuck of you workshy shower of shite

Well you might have to word it differently  :innocent:  but a lot of them need other options at 16 - the trouble is they just don't see any career paths open to them or any sort of job that pays well.

We are all missing the point which is....

These cunts think they have the hardest job in the world and should be compensated better than most others and given a higher degree of respect within the community because they teach rather than build houses etc etc.

I say fuck of you workshy shower of shite

Absolute bullshit - there's people in any workplace who think they have the hardest job in the world and deserve more money.

Well you might have to word it differently  :innocent:  but a lot of them need other options at 16 - the trouble is they just don't see any career paths open to them or any sort of job that pays well.

Genuine question, do they not have career advisers at 14 anymore, or is it a case that everyone is expected to go onto 'a' levels/college?

Genuine question, do they not have career advisers at 14 anymore, or is it a case that everyone is expected to go onto 'a' levels/college?

Most career advisers locally were made redundant over the last year or so. They do get some advice in their last year but the reality is that most of this is making sure they choose the correct college course.

Well you might have to word it differently :innocent: but a lot of them need other options at 16 - the trouble is they just don't see any career paths open to them or any sort of job that pays well.

There is 100% a labour shitstorm facing the construction industry over the next 10 years.

Seen as unfashionable and for thick folk, it's never been something that attracted kids for years. Yet I know lads who left school with nowt and earn a decent coin simply by grafting and learning a trade.

The CITB have to shoulder the blame on the lack of kids coming through but schools could do well to show them the career path and make it more attractive.

Agreed. This baffles me.

I have no problem with other professions coming into teaching. Over the last few years, I have worked with 8 people who came from the private sector into teaching - only 1 remains. The other 7 felt it wasn't for them - despite investing the time and money to train to be teachers in their 30's and 40's.

Many years ago i worked for a contracting organisation when i got the opportunity to go and work for the client (United Utilities), I took the opportunity and joined them. I didnt last long, it wasnt because i found it too intense or challenging it was because the culture of the organisation and the attitude of the vast majority of its employees was feckless. The employees still had the mind set of North West Water where  they had role profiles from which they were unwilling to deviate from and the management didnt have the appetite or desire to change the culture. So i voted with my feet.

• Site Supporter

There is 100% a labour shitstorm facing the construction industry over the next 10 years.

Seen as unfashionable and for thick folk, it's never been something that attracted kids for years. Yet I know lads who left school with nowt and earn a decent coin simply by grafting and learning a trade.

The CITB have to shoulder the blame on the lack of kids coming through but schools could do well to show them the career path and make it more attractive.

true, but i'd say it's up to the CITB mainly to have a presence in schools, sure the school could chase them, but if they've got a hall full of computer expos and even engineering, and the teachers have never even heard of the CITB might be hard, I'd say the onus is on the CITB to promote.

i went to my sons career evening, they were noted (by me) for their absence, most other bodies you could think of where there in some form, along with university reps, but nowt from them.

Guest Blixa

Teachers - easy target.

If teaching is such a workshy, piss easy, well-paid job, why aren't you all doing it? Probably because it's not.

Oh yes - and I'm not and never have been a teacher.

• 2 months later...

They can go on strike.

I'd suggest October half term would be a suitable time to throw their toys out of the pram.

Shower of shit.

It'll be the last two days before the break or the first two afterwards. Then they get 11 days off, enough time for a foreign holiday.

Fucking spunkbubbles.