Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bert Trautmann

COYW

There's something on Yesterday about his life story now - after his release from the POW camp, he soon adapted to Mancunian ways, he was one of the original deadbeat dads. He got a local girl up the duff then did one (to use local parlance). :)

Warning!

Approaching

(*

Edited by Youri McAnespie

There's something on Yesterday about his life story now - after his release from the POW camp, he soon adopted to Mancunian ways, he was one of the original deadbeat dads. He got a local girl up the duff then did one (to use local parlance). :)

Although she's from Bryn rather than a Manc. Didn't realise there was a POW camp at A-in-M. Saw the first half of that documentary and taping the second half while Corrie is on (I know, I know).

There's a story, probably apocryphal, about German POWs in Manchester - they weren't allowed to do anything to help the war effort in their labour, so some of them were put to work landscaping Heaton Park (or some other Park). One of the jobs they undertook was planting bulbs in the flowerbeds...

Anyhow, come Spring they'd long moved on to other work - but, when the daffodils sprouted, they'd been laid down in such a way to make the outline of a giant cock and balls.

:)

(*

Seven Posts Ahead.

(this warning sign is brought to you by 'one of the ilk ®'.)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

There's a story, probably apocryphal, about German POWs in Manchester - they weren't allowed to do anything to help the war effort in their labour, so some of them were put to work landscaping Heaton Park (or some other Park). One of the jobs they undertook was planting bulbs in the flowerbeds...

Anyhow, come Spring they'd long moved on to other work - but, when the daffodils sprouted, they'd been laid down in such a way to make the outline of a giant cock and balls.

:)

Didn't know Germans had a sense of humour (like our obsession with drawing puds & ze toilet)

A true legend. I was born in the 1960's and as I grew up in the 60's and 70's the obession with the war was overbearing and in my opinion did this country no good in the long term. Burt Trautmann won people over by his performances and his general demeanour. He was hated by probably over 50% of the population but carried on regardless and won most over. When I say certain other emigrants from other countries should take a leaf no doubt the R word will be thrown at me by a certain moderator on here and his ilk.

• Members

A true legend. I was born in the 1960's and as I grew up in the 60's and 70's the obession with the war was overbearing and in my opinion did this country no good in the long term. Burt Trautmann won people over by his performances and his general demeanour. He was hated by probably over 50% of the population but carried on regardless and won most over. When I say certain other emigrants from other countries should take a leaf no doubt the R word will be thrown at me by a certain moderator on here and his ilk.

I'd be disappointed if that happened BGOEFC. Nowt wrong there. The Germans were mistrusted for war reasons. I believe extreme Islam has declared war on us so where is the problem? Obviously going to be a level of mistrust.

You make a very salient point. It is the interloper who should strive to assimilate, not the local. Trautmann did that successfully and others should take a leaf out of his book.

Look at me. I have even started scoring cricket the wrong way round and calling the PL the EPL just to appease my new friends  :D

Although she's from Bryn rather than a Manc. Didn't realise there was a POW camp at A-in-M. Saw the first half of that documentary and taping the second half while Corrie is on (I know, I know).

He went to my mum and Dads church apparently back in the 50's in Bryn

jsl