Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Iv Been In Some Grim Pubs

Garrp

Queen Victoria or summat in Levenshulme.

Was sat at a table having a few pints on Boxing day about 5 years ago watching soccer saturday. Getting stared down by everyone in there, it smelt of dog and then just as we were leaving a guy woke up from underneath the next table.

The little yellow snooker club opposite the courts in Stockport for me.

Fucking mental place.

Yardies smoking ganja,smackheads selling packs of meat,old boys topping up their ale with gold label,big fat barmaid with tattoos on her neck...the place had it all.

I told em all I was mates with one of stockports biggest gangstas in Jules Darby.

The little yellow snooker club opposite the courts in Stockport for me.

Fucking mental place.

Yardies smoking ganja,smackheads selling packs of meat,old boys topping up their ale with gold label,big fat barmaid with tattoos on her neck...the place had it all.

I told em all I was mates with one of stockports biggest gangstas in Jules Darby.

Sounds like The Griffin

Is it still going that gaff?

Where was it sold bottles of 5 flags in Bolton?

Clifton?

It was, when they were doing the 'Gateway to Bolton' bridge, and the road was shut off, that place was 'interesting' - because it was sort of isolated it became a bit like a Wild West Saloon - all the booze seemed to be sourced from Aldi or Morrisons, it was full of kids, pikeys, not-rights, alkys, shoplifters...Cheap as fuck though, I only used to go in to play the quiz machines, which used to take me into places I'd never dream of venturing usually - sometimes pint pots, ashtrays and chairs would be flying past my head (not at my head mind) and I'd be stood impassive concentrating on the game. Used to be a good earner for me when I was at University.

Not rough but certainly not right We had tea in the Balcarres on Sunday night over Haigh/Aspull way as someone said it was cheap and cheerful.

I'd recommend it if you fancy being entertained by Wigginers singing randomly :)

Me and Sra. Kerr called in on Saturday tea time after the match. Full of pissed up pie-eaters  been in all day wathing th'egg chasing. Was a strange place.

• Moderators

Always fancied going in that one towards end of m602 on left. Just to see what it was like

As in regent road near sainsbury?

If so, the Wellington, currently shut down since a shooting in there

If not, dunno

But fuck me in one ine leyton

Its beyond grim

Theres 6 of us in here, youngest one must be 60

All 6 of them staring at me

Bar maid checked my £10 note was real

Im sure Leigh Whites seen worse like

Watch out for the Tigers from Hull...

wasnt there a pub in the news a few years back, where two hitmen went in and tried to murder someone, fucked it up and ended being murdered by the punters inside

My mates a copper said that they basically executed two blokes outside the pub. When the police turned up there was two bodies outside with kids playing football around them. Inside the pub was covered in blood and bullet holes but everyone was watching the match as if nothing had happened. Was it called the pepper pot? Apparently no one had seen anything when asked. That's a fairly tough local

wasnt there a pub in the news a few years back, where two hitmen went in and tried to murder someone, fucked it up and ended being murdered by the punters inside

My mates a copper said that they basically executed two blokes outside the pub. When the police turned up there was two bodies outside with kids playing football around them. Inside the pub was covered in blood and bullet holes but everyone was watching the match as if nothing had happened. Was it called the pepper pot? Apparently no one had seen anything when asked. That's a fairly tough local

Brass Handles