Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tax People

tomski

Are piss poor sent me a big bill for a rebate I have never received saying I owe them quite a bit one phone call to their line for international tax payers (the non 08 number or 03) and it now turns out they now owe me again.

Spent 2 hours on 2 separate occasions trying to get through and was about to give up the chase. Moral of the story is keep fucking going. Tidy sum saved and a cheque in a months time!

The head of HMRC has an amazing track record.

As Chief Exec of Birmingham City Council she was criticised over the mis-handling of postal votes by the Election Commissioner in the strongest terms, "Conduct which would disgrace a banana republic".

From there she went to the UK Border Agency  where backlogs went through the roof and were concealed even from Parliament.

Next came a post as Permaent Secretary at the Ministry of Transport in time for the West Coast Mainline debacle.

And now she's head of HMRC - and not even answerable to a Minister!

Two years ago I had to work hard to get a small tax refund which was obviously due.

Last year they taxed me as though I had received State Pension for the full year even though I was only 65 in the September - I eventually got a substantial refund in July.

I pointed them in the right direction for this year's coding, but they screwed up in July - My main private pension went up, but my tax payment went down. That is about to be righted 3 months on, at my initiative - otherwise I'd be facing a shortfall at the end of the year.

I never ring them, and always write.