Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

No Dawson, No Win = 2013

Kane57

Knight can play well when he doesn't have to baby sit atleast 2 other players.

Unfair on tierney / baptiste but they haven't exactly started on fire

They both had to play on their own on the entire flanks v QPR and Baptiste was made LB at Blackburn; I'm not surprised they haven't "started on fire"

They're both plenty good enough for this league and for us

Guest bwfcdan

Dawson is a good player, and would have improved us, but it's now dear he's not coming back, we just need to move on. You would think he's of the calibre of Lionel Messi the way that some people are going on though.

Agreed. Ridiculous this now, just need to let it go and move on.

• Site Supporter

Knight is the main cause of our problems. I'm not making him the scapegoat, he is simply not enough. Someone his size should be chipping in with at least 5 or 6 goals a season from set play but I think he's scored twice in all the time he's been with us.

He should also be able to aggressively attack set plays in our own area but he doesn't seem able to do that either.

I know 3 successive managers have all rated him (or at least played him) and they must see something I don't. I genuinely do not believe he is a good player and can't wait for the day the big lumbering oaf plays his last game.

I'd love Dawson back like the next man but if it ain't happening, then lets try to find a solution to our woes with what we have in the squad already

Knight is the main cause of our problems. I'm not making him the scapegoat, he is simply not enough. Someone his size should be chipping in with at least 5 or 6 goals a season from set play but I think he's scored twice in all the time he's been with us.

I agree that his goal record is nothing short of appalling.

BUT

I'd happily have him never score a goal for us ever again ... as long as he did what he's paid very handsomely to do, and that is to defend our goal.

I agree that his goal record is nothing short of appalling.

BUT

I'd happily have him never score a goal for us ever again ... as long as he did what he's paid very handsomely to do, and that is to defend our goal.

This this this

Goal threat is great but I'd sooner have my centre halves defend and distribute first

• Moderators

aye

maybe i need to clarify

i had no time for jaidi as he couldn't defend for toffee so i agree about the priority for a defender

but, when dawson arrived we started getting goals on the board which changes the whole feel of the game

it meant we carried a threat from set pieces

a completely fresh dimension to our play

anyway, back to knight, the fact he doesn't get his head on balls into the opposition box IS symbolic of his lack of bollocks

aye

maybe i need to clarify

i had no time for jaidi as he couldn't defend for toffee so i agree about the priority for a defender

but, when dawson arrived we started getting goals on the board which changes the whole feel of the game

it meant we carried a threat from set pieces

a completely fresh dimension to our play

anyway, back to knight, the fact he doesn't get his head on balls into the opposition box IS symbolic of his lack of bollocks

Yep, I'm with you on all of that

I'm glad there's an international break to be honest....hopefully DF has them getting their shit together

Knight has been a regular selection for 7 managers.

Someone somewhere thinks he has ability. I'd tend to agree. He dies, however, have concentration issues and you can't coach players out of that, hence the need for a "talker" next to him.

Much of this discussion leads to me to think that Bolger should be given a chance at this level.

He can certainly defend impressively at lower levels, so he may (or may not) cut it in the first team.

And he cetainly is a genuine scoring option from corners. We definitely need goals from somewhere.

From where we are now, what is there to lose by trying him out?

Knight babysitting? Jesus eavesy.

I'm not saying he's good at it, but at the minute he's having to do it.

With Dawson and alonso either side of him all he had to do was defend. Which he is very capable of.

With wheater and a right back at left back or a bedding in tierney either side of him suddenly knight has to do a hell of alot more.

It's no coincidence that every ball Blackburn put in the box, long throws, crosses, knight was the one one getting rid of em. But eventually it's gunna take its strain.

I'm not saying he's good at it, but at the minute he's having to do it.

With Dawson and alonso either side of him all he had to do was defend. Which he is very capable of.

With wheater and a right back at left back or a bedding in tierney either side of him suddenly knight has to do a hell of alot more.

Are you honestly suggesting that Alonso was a better defender than Tierney?

• Moderators

Are you honestly suggesting that Alonso was a better defender than Tierney?

can't say we've seen owt to say if he's better or worse

but he did acknowledge Tierney as "bedding in"

only thing that stands out re: Tierney so far was his cross for Pratley's goal

can't say we've seen owt to say if he's better or worse

but he did acknowledge Tierney as "bedding in"

only thing that stands out re: Tierney so far was his cross for Pratley's goal

I've little doubt that Alonso is technically better and gave us more threat going forward.

However, he was very poor when it came to defending.

I simply don't agree that Knight is being hampered by having to 'babysit' Tierney yet he didn't have to worry about Alonso.

Besides, whether he's having to cover anyone else's position or not is still no excuse for his lack of effort , or failing to 'bust a gut' to get back into the correct position - prime example being Rhodes' second on Saturday (and yes, I fully accept that it was Wheater's dreadful error in the first place).

Knight has been a regular selection for 7 managers.

Someone somewhere thinks he has ability. I'd tend to agree. He dies, however, have concentration issues and you can't coach players out of that, hence the need for a "talker" next to him.

Think Jimmy Phillips is the only one to drop him

Besides, whether he's having to cover anyone else's position or not is still no excuse for his lack of effort , or failing to 'bust a gut' to get back into the correct position - prime example being Rhodes' second on Saturday (and yes, I fully accept that it was Wheater's dreadful error in the first place).

He got into position and lost out in a 50/50 challenge. Shit happens.

The worse things that has happened for knight is being made captain as we're now all analysing his every touch. I'm not a great fan of knight but I wish he'd been allowed to just get on with his game and we'd made someone else captain. God knows who though

I think as that's where I'm at.

I'm no fan of his, but too much of the blame is being put at his door.