Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'foreigners' Playing For England

DazBob

Yay or nay?

Every other country seems to be doing it to suit themselves.

Ideally we'd have enough English born, bred or through their parents not to have to snaffle players who only qualify through having lived here for 5 years ... but seeing as that's not the case I'm all for it.

What's the point? This kid at United, from my limited knowledge of it, has lived here for 2-3 years only because he came to play football for United

He grew up in Belgium, Albanian descent

Shouldn't play for us IMO, he is only here because he's a footballer, if international football isn't about repping your country then what's the point?

Of course in this day and age some players have dual nationalities and divided loyalties but in this case, like Arteta and Almunia who I believe might've qualified too, he's not in any way shape or form English

A bloke not born in England but English in every other sense of the word is fine by me.

A Belgian lad that's lived here for 3 years? Get to fuck.

We already don't get enough English youngsters through as it is.

What if he'd been here since he was 10 and spoke with an English accent?  If 10 yrs old is ok then what about if he was 12 ... or 13 ... or 14, etc.

At what point does it become acceptable?

Balls to it.  There are rules in place, if someone fits the criteria then that's fine by me. if 'our' English players are good enough then they'll make it.  If not, fuck em.  I'll be cheering on Abdul Hitler when he scores the winner for us in the Iraqi WC final in 2026

What's the point? This kid at United, from my limited knowledge of it, has lived here for 2-3 years only because he came to play football for United

He grew up in Belgium, Albanian descent

Shouldn't play for us IMO, he is only here because he's a footballer, if international football isn't about repping your country then what's the point?

Of course in this day and age some players have dual nationalities and divided loyalties but in this case, like Arteta and Almunia who I believe might've qualified too, he's not in any way shape or form English

Apparently he's turned down the chance to play for Belgium and wants to represent Kosovo but they're not recognised by FIFA

• Moderators

where does the line get drawn then? i have a mate with english parents but they were living in germany when he was born.

what nationality is he?

he isn't german

well, depends on when he moved, but I would say, he ain't german

Stuart Holden is technically Scottish, but if you're there from a "young" age and integrate I guess it's up to that person when they "come of age" as to what they think they are

if you've got foreign parents and you're born and bred here, that's ok too, like ozil for germany, or amir kahn

not having that belgian lad though, been here 3 years since he was 15, no

Owen Hargreaves was a foreigner playing for England.

The England cricket or rugby sides would be fucked if it wasn't for foreigners

Or maybe their authorities would be forced to build a national youth system that fits such critia that they wouldn't have to do so?

We spend gazillions a year on grass roots football to nurture kids into stars.

If we start going down the route of cricket at rugby we may as well pack it all in a set camp up across Europe.

the concept of nationality is getting more and more diluted, and some people should think a bit more before criticising.

you know, the born in Bolton, live in Bolton, die in Bolton brigade

my half-brother was born in Gibraltar, lived in Spain all his life, regards himself as English.

But I have noticed a tendency to support Spain after England are knocked out of football tournaments. Fucking twat.

What if he'd been here since he was 10 and spoke with an English accent?  If 10 yrs old is ok then what about if he was 12 ... or 13 ... or 14, etc.

At what point does it become acceptable?

Balls to it.  There are rules in place, if someone fits the criteria then that's fine by me. if 'our' English players are good enough then they'll make it.  If not, fuck em.  I'll be cheering on Abdul Hitler when he scores the winner for us in the Iraqi WC final in 2026

Fucking Abdul Hitler is shit on Champ Manager.