Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Android Tv

aidybwfc

Ok, speaking to a couple of mates who have these SkyBoxF3 (or F5). They had them installed by a "dealer". One of them is paying for European channels (approx £25 for 3 months). That's not something I care to do, UK channels will be fine.

So take it, buy Android (SkyBox or Midnight Box), plug it in, do a bit of channel searching and then its good to go permanently, no messing?

Is it picking up its signal from the Sky dish - or is it via WIFI?

My Android box comes preloaded with XBMC.  XBMC is the application/program that contains all the other apps such as Navi-X, IceFilms, etc.

Navi-X will contain the links to pretty much everything and is what I use to stream Sky Sports, BT Sports, etc.  Everything is in there by category so, even though there's a little bit of trial and error as to if the links work, it really is a piece of piss to use.

IceFilms I use for films, TV shows, etc.  From what I've seen so far there isn't a film or TV show that's ever been made that isn't on there.  Again, it's all by category and/or available to search for using using the A-Z directory.

TBH, I've barely even scratched the surface as to what else is available.

All you need is an internet connection (either by ethernet or by Wi-fi) and a telly.  The box comes with a power pack, remote control and an HDMI lead.  That really is all there is to it.

If I can get it up and running in 2 minutes then anyone can.

D'oh.  Racing UK!

Anyway, done a quick search and the following link to another forum discussion might help.

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/sports-xbmc/5556-cheltenham-festival-2013-a.html

Sounds like you'll find it on there but a bit hit and miss as to when it works and when it doesn't.

I suppose the nature of how reliable the sports streams are is dependant on how popular they are.  A prime example being the Man City match last night - there were five links for it.  For the Man U match there were fifteen.

I suppose the nature of how reliable the sports streams are is dependant on how popular they are.  A prime example being the Man City match last night - there were five links for it.  For the Man U match there were fifteen.

I think you should also temper that little fact with the fact that we didn't watch the DMB game on any of the 15 channels available, you were just showing me how it worked......

So, you're not getting TV channels, just a series of links to streams aka the interweb?

Sorry, not explaining this well. 

Channels are streamed 24/7 and also sporting events are streamed in isolation. 

So, for example, all the Sky Sports channels and BT Sports channels are streamed.  However I was struggling last night to find streams to Sky Sports that were working (or were the quality wasn't piss-poor) so instead I just looked for the football matches in isolation in the SportsDevil add-on (app).  In there all the matches are listed in a way you'll be familiar with if you use websites such as Firstrow, JustinTV, etc.

By the sounds of it, on the link I posted you'll be able to find streams to the actual ATR and RUK channels ... but alas, there will be no guarantee that they'll be working when you want/need them to.

Hope that explains it a bit better..?

My advice would be if you want to access these channels and for them to be working 100% of the time then Android TV isn't what you should be relying on.

Can anyone explain what the fuck Navix is, other than installing it, what the fuck do I actually do with it?

YTArmy seems to have a good handle and can probably explain this better. 

In the meantime, from what I can gather IceFilms and 1Channel are straightforward - they offer TV shows and films and are a piece of piss to use/navigate.  SportsDevil seems to be a collection of all the streaming sites for sports that are categorised for ease of finding shit.

Navi-X seems to be a big, fuck off collection of streaming sites that isn't really categorised in any kind of order, however, if you click on 'most popular in last 24 hours' this will bring up a list of, well, self-explanatory.  In this list you'll find, amongst other random stuff, links to streams for specific channels such as Sky Sports.  Now, you can then add these links into your 'favourites' so you don't have to fanny around finding them the next time.  trouble is, as I've found out, you can then go into your favourites the next day, click on the link you put there for Sky Sports and it will no longer work ... which means you have to repeat the process of finding a fresh one.

Can anyone explain what the fuck Navix is, other than installing it, what the fuck do I actually do with it?

Pop round to SpazNobs and have a look, I reckon it'll be easier than him trying to explain it. I reckon he'll also give you a complimentary reach-a-round as well

Pop round to SpazNobs and have a look, I reckon it'll be easier than him trying to explain it. I reckon he'll also give you a complimentary reach-a-round as well

Whoa, whoa, steady on.

Shirley I should be the recipient of said reachround??

Anyway, Carlos, if you want to see it in action just inbox me.  Traf can join you.  #pileon

Edited by DazBob

Ok, so we aren't sharing IP of someone else with a full-on Sky package as I thought was the case with the SkyBox F5. Mate has one of those and everything is on permanently, proper menus, no looking for streams. But to clarify, this option is the most likely to get switched off by Sky.

Whereas the Android TV option is relying on streams and likely to be up forever as Sky cannot touch it?

AND

Can you watch any terrestrial TV (ITV, BBC, CH4) through the Android TV? Again, saves me messing about with TV aerials in various rooms if I'm streaming stuff.

Edited by Smiley

Can you watch any terrestrial TV (ITV, BBC, CH4) through the Android TV? Again, saves me messing about with TV aerials in various rooms if I'm streaming stuff.

Yep.  Thing is, because it's Android you can just use the CatchUp TV app as you'd be able to do with a tablet or a phone. You'd not even need to open XMBC to watch ITV, BBC, etc.

Nope.  Not that I'm aware of.

It is in no way like Sky.  You can access Sky's channels but that's all it has in common.

Any reason why it comes with memory?

(Oh, I've ordered one now, so you are now going to get mithered from me!..... but rest assured, once I've mastered it, I will get mithered by every other fcker!!).