Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

O'neill And Keane As No.2 For Roi

tomski

Will be interesting to see how that dynamic works out? a Northern Irishman as gaffer and the least sympathetic bloke in football as a go between, between players and managers?

He's a Catholic though isn't he?  Therefore he'll see himself as Oirish, not British.

Keane as a number two though.  Can't see how that'll work at all.

As long as he's Catholic it really doesn't matter. Add to it that he's managed Celtic and he'll be St Martin in their eyes.

Same goes that little runt Neil Lennon.

Captained Ulster yet he's a hero at parkhead because he's Catholic.

• Site Supporter

As long as he's Catholic it really doesn't matter.  Add to it that he's managed Celtic and he'll be St Martin in their eyes.

wouldnt matter anyway, dont think jack charlton was catholic, not even sure TBH and this notion everybody in ireland likes Celtic is up there with they all like spuds, i get what your saying like, but would be different if it was keane going to manage Northern Ireland for example as some wouldnt like that ( political rather than he's fuckin shite i mean) but there wouldnt be much problem in the republic with someone from the North managing or playing.

Same goes that little runt Neil Lennon.

Captained Ulster yet he's a hero at parkhead because he's Catholic.

hmm, same thing reversed, hated because he played for celtic ( and mentioned the unification team) even though he played for NI? 

wouldnt matter anyway, dont think jack charlton was catholic, not even sure TBH and this notion everybody in ireland likes Celtic is up there with they all like spuds, i get what your saying like, but would be different if it was keane going to manage Northern Ireland for example as some wouldnt like that ( political rather than he's fuckin shite i mean) but there wouldnt be much problem in the republic with someone from the North managing or playing.

I wasn't trying to say fans of the Republic wouldn't accept a Protestant as manager, I was merely saying if you're from the North and are Catholic, you see yourself as Irish. If you're proddie then you see yourself as British. MON being from the North and being a Catholic will be seen by everyone involved as being Irish.

It'd be interesting to see the reaction if a Norn Irish proddie ever got the job though.

Edited by DazBob

• Site Supporter

It's ludicrous that you can switch from NI to ROI. UEFA/FIFA need to close that loophole.

can you switch once you have played for NI? if you can then that's ludicrous otherwise

it's not really a loophole that Fifa can close to be honest, the whole identity thing in Northern Ireland goes to far more than football authority, 

• Site Supporter

I wasn't trying to say fans of the Republic wouldn't accept a Protestant as manager, I was merely saying if you're from the North and are Catholic, you see yourself as Irish. If you're proddie then you see yourself as British. MON being from the North and being a Catholic will be seen by everyone involved as being Irish.

It'd be interesting to see the reaction if a Norn Irish proddie ever got the job though.

aye I know, i was more responding in a conversational way rather than disagreeing, if that makes sense, though your statement is a "rule of thumb" and not always accurate, it's accurate enough for the point your making. Irish is a broad term and doesnt only mean republicans, people express them selves as Irish loyalists for example, as that is what they are, Irish and loyal to the crown, just as someone from scotland is scottish and british, people from Northern ireland can be irish and british and would identify with that.

I'll give Keane 6-8 months tops before he walks, O Neill will walk as soon as they fail to qualify for the Euros.

Expansion of the next tournament means they've got a much better chance of qualifying so he probably fancies their chances. Pair of um are pundits on ITV tonight for Tyldsley's favourite team

can you switch once you have played for NI? if you can then that's ludicrous otherwise

it's not really a loophole that Fifa can close to be honest, the whole identity thing in Northern Ireland goes to far more than football authority, 

You're allowed to switch right up to and including playing in a friendly international for the first team. Once you've played in a full international you can't. 

That rule applies to all countries, not just NI and ROI.

I think that the specific problem which exists between the ROI and NI is that players can switch from NI to ROI but not the other way. FIFA rules prevent anyone who doesn't hold a passport for that country, or have any biological connection to the country, playing for them. But because ROI can issue passports to anyone born in Ireland as part of their constitution, they can effectively poach players from NI. The four home associations rules prevent NI from doing the same thing.