Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

16 hours ago, kent_white said:

Probably Venus or Jupiter? They are the ones easiest to spot from earth.

I can see either Ursa Minor or Ursa Major too (not sure which one) so it could be Polaris?

Either way it's amazing. Wish I knew more about the night sky. Went through a stage if wanting to buy a telescope but it seems daft when I live in a cloudy Astley Bridge and not an always clear Arizona :(

Venus. Polaris isn't that bright.

This shows the sky on that day

https://theskylive.com/planetarium?objects=sun-moon-c2020f3-mercury-venus-mars-jupiter-saturn-uranus-neptune-pluto&localdata=51.48|0|Greenwich%2C+United+Kingdom|Europe%2FLondon|0&obj=c2020f3&h=03&m=10&date=2020-07-05#ra|5.028773591610367|dec|30.08175568208413|fov|20

The group that looks like an Ursa is the Pleiades

Edited by SatanGreavsie

6 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Apart from that I was bang on though! 

Thanks Satan 😁

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Pleiades = seven sisters but I can only ever count six. Maybe my eyes are shitter than whichever star-gazer named that constellation.

Maybe one got dimmer like beetleguese

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Pleiades = seven sisters but I can only ever count six. Maybe my eyes are shitter than whichever star-gazer named that constellation.

Leigh White copped off with 4 of them back in 1988, behind the bins at Cape Canaveral. They stole his wallet and commemorative NASA clippercard.

On 20/07/2020 at 19:23, SatanGreavsie said:

This a belting view from the ISS - comet turns up about 3 minutes in; watch full screen

Anyone know what that explosion type thing is on the earth's surface at about 4.45?

It's just to the right of Venus / Plaiedes.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Anyone know what that explosion type thing is on the earth's surface at about 4.45?

Good spot. I've watched the same area for the rest of the vid and it brightens several times and seems to be more mobile.

As it gets closer it appears to be on the edge of a huge clouded area so I'm going for a thunder storm. 

30 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Specular reflection? Like  the one the spacecraft Cassini spotted at Saturn's moon Titan, with light reflecting at the perfect angle.  When you look at the image, just remember it is a picture of light bouncing off a lake of liquid methane on a moon a billion miles away from Earth, taken by a craft shooting past it at 75,000mph. When we want to, we can do stuff...20140315_PIA12481.jpg from a lake of liquid hydrocarbons...

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Specular reflection? Like  the one the spacecraft Cassini spotted at Saturn's moon Titan, with light reflecting at the perfect angle.  When you look at the image, just remember it is a picture of light bouncing off a lake of liquid methane on a moon a billion miles away from Earth, taken by a craft shooting past it at 75,000mph. When we want to, we can do stuff...20140315_PIA12481.jpg from a lake of liquid hydrocarbons...

Saw a documentary about the moon recently where the telescopes were so powerful they picked up the footprints from the last moon landing.

Now, where did we leave that Lunar Rover?

Strange how they won’t show that and at least one flag.

45 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

That's absolutely amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Some asteroid passing quite closely tonight. Apparently the size of a bus but won’t be able to be seen with the naked eye. 

Passing closer than the altitude of the satellites. 

Tbf i struggle to see buses down the road, let alone in space

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Thinking it could be mars 🤔

Wont be mercury and venus is usually close to the moon.

Looks a bit dusky as well. This is what no beer on a sunday does.

Yeah, Mars, I think

Not Uranus

• Site Supporter