Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Oh dear.

Was listening to something on the wireless the other day. Some radio listening doofer somewhere (USA I think) was well over 2 acres in area, with thousands of panels on it, each the size of a small car iirc. 

It had just had a lift installed to save the chaps going up stairs higher than the statue of liberty. 

Could pick up a signal weaker than a snowflake's. 10‐³² of a unit (whatever they were measured in). Watches etc would greatly interfere. 

• Site Supporter

Science blows my mind. How the fuck the boffins do this space stuff is unreal.  I wish I could understand the physics and love watching space programmes on TV but I always end up confused yet in awe of it all.

Every now and again I love to rewatch the earth comparison videos on NASA and even YouTube to show how utterly insignificant our planet is.

1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Science blows my mind. How the fuck the boffins do this space stuff is unreal.  I wish I could understand the physics and love watching space programmes on TV but I always end up confused yet in awe of it all.

Every now and again I love to rewatch the earth comparison videos on NASA and even YouTube to show how utterly insignificant our planet is.

Try PBS Space Time on YouTube if you like that type of thing. It will blow your mind!

On 01/12/2020 at 22:31, kent_white said:

Try PBS Space Time on YouTube if you like that type of thing. It will blow your mind!

Wow!! My brain hurts. That said he reminds me of Professor Denzil Dexter from The Fast Show, particularly when he’s taking about quantum mechanics, do the past and future exist, etc

On 01/12/2020 at 21:17, Winchester White said:

KY scuti and beetlejuice particular faves :)

3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Wow!! My brain hurts. That said he reminds me of Professor Denzil Dexter from The Fast Show, particularly when he’s taking about quantum mechanics, do the past and future exist, etc

If you look through the playlists he'll take you through it from the beginning on different topics.

It's hard to pick up the thread half way through - as you have to have tried to wrap your head around ones that have come before first. 

I listen to them at bedtime - they relax me for some reason? 😀

48 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If you look through the playlists he'll take you through it from the beginning on different topics.

It's hard to pick up the thread half way through - as you have to have tried to wrap your head around ones that have come before first. 

I listen to them at bedtime - they relax me for some reason? 😀

I’ll give it a go. Joining half way through is like listening to someone philosophising during and acid trip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

Jupiter/saturn conjugation now low in the South West.

Slightly apart, duller just above the brighter.

Close up more tomorrow. 

Last visible instance of this was 800 years ago, so don't bank on seeing it again.

Some speculation that this event was the 'star of bethlehem' when the little fella was born.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Last visible instance of this was 800 years ago, so don't bank on seeing it again.

Thing is, I’ve seen Haley’s Comet, Hale-Bopp Comet and that won’t buy me a pint of lager.

49 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Close up more tomorrow. 

Some speculation that this event was the 'star of bethlehem' when the little fella was born.

Just seen it. Due to the light pollution I can only see the moon and one other shiny thing. That Sky Map app that Zico recommended is ace and confirms it’s Jupiter/Saturn

54 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Close up more tomorrow. 

Thanks for the reminder; yes, can see it