Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

We Are The Lever Enders

The Spragg Dog

Earliest memories from mid 70s involve being on Lever End. Aged about 6 in the middle of the riot against Chelsea in 1977, Dad escaping arrest by skin of his teeth for twatting a Chelsea fan who had knocked me over.

Season after (77/8 promotion season under Ian Greaves), my Dad decided on a move. He thought the Manny Road North seats nearest the Embankment looked a safe bet. For a while he was right ... but not by the early 80s. As has been observed, there were some rum lads in that part of the ground, including that last section of seats!

Remember a lot of lads going back to the Lever End seats in 83/4 for the start of the first season in Division 3. They all gravitated back to the Paddock and Manny Road after Xmas that season.

Not sure I should be raising the spectre of a new season in Div 3 ...

Started off in burden seats when I was a young kid was in there for the stoke Sunday cup tie. Sat at the back watching the massive queue outside. Was in the lever in the late 70's also the Chelsea game when they crossed the pitch. The Newcastle 3_3 game we ended up in burnden terrace it was rammed. Moved to the embankment in the 80's then back to the c block seats in burden stand was really lively in their for the Bristol city match. The best season was probably the last in Manny road north stood with the same faces every week great crack with the whiskey flask going round at Xmas. Great days never been repeated at Reebok!!!!!

My first match was on the Embankment but it looked much more interesting in the Lever End. I remember starting off at the bottom of the terrace before moving up to the top and in the middle. I've probably rubbed shoulders with a few on here. It didn't matter what the crowd was, we all congregated in one spot which created the atmosphere. I remember the Liverpool match though and the mass of flags that they brought with them, it was an impressive sight. Segregation (for when away fans did come in) was basically a thin line of police with about 2 ft between the opposing fans.

burnden stand for my debut too v Stoke. Spent the rest of the season in there,then moved to the Manny Rd seats for the 74/75 season before venturing onto the embankment for a few seasons with the fleeting visit into the lever end.  mid to late 80's were spent in the paddock before settling on the manny road north terrace until it's sad closure.

only once visited the manny rd south terrace,that was v those scouse bastards in the 77 semi final,and did the wing stand once for the norwich league cup match in 95.

burnden stand for my debut too v Stoke. Spent the rest of the season in there,then moved to the Manny Rd seats for the 74/75 season before venturing onto the embankment for a few seasons with the fleeting visit into the lever end.  mid to late 80's were spent in the paddock before settling on the manny road north terrace until it's sad closure.

only once visited the manny rd south terrace,that was v those scouse bastards in the 77 semi final,and did the wing stand once for the norwich league cup match in 95.

Stopped going in the Manny Road in 88. My impression from a distance was that it calmed down but that the regulars were still not be trifled with right up to the end of Burnden. Certainly remember a load of Birmingham fans celebrating a goal in there and being chased out on the pitch.

I fuckin hated being put in the lever end.

I wanted to go in the paddock where all the action was.

My first paddock season ticket was the 95 prem season and never sat on them shit green seats with rain holes in them again.

Ha ha, Me too - dad 'n 2 lad tickets for about a tenner being the cause!

We were occasionally treated to the paddock or Manny Rd North for the 'big' games i.e. Wigan or Bury :) Come '95 though it was top corner all the way!

Still, at least you got to have a kick around at the front . . . 

I always think it's a bit sad I'll never be able to let any kids of mine experience Burnden.  Happy days

• Moderators

Wasn't it just amazing on the terraces when we scored, nowt like it.

Fucking right it was

Score a goal then end up 20 yards from where you started

Not every game obviously

But liverpoool at home in the cup in 93, pne when we went up, Swindon, wolves etc, your feet didn't touch the ground till after the restart

Charlton last game, started off near the embankment when Taggart scored and ended up near the lever end by time We'd calmed down, not literally but it's I how I like to remember it