Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Favourite All Time Wanderer And Why

miamiwhite

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McGinlay. Cried my eyes out when I came home from school to read on Teletext that we had sold him to Bradford. Could also throw in Bergsson, Thompson, Branagan, McAteer and Paatelainen from that sort of era.

For sheer quality of player though, Youri and Okocha in the same team was just a wet dream.

Owen Coyle was responsible for getting me into liking football and supporting Wanderers in the first place, with his equaliser against Arsenal in the Cup, was my all time Wanderers hero for a long time after that!

Couldn't really single out a player from our great Premier League era, Kevin Davies is up there for me though - I'll never get those few minutes when he scored in Munich out of my mind. Pinnacle!

Tough one...for overall ability its got to be Anelka, JJ and although passed it Hierro.

But my favourite all round has got to be SJM.

I was really impressed with the 6 months Lavelle spent with us, if we didnt have him that season I am sure we would have gone down.

Laville was an extremely under-rated player who served us well.

The davies goals in Munich will live with me forever. - Best day of my life

Agree with a lot of th'owd uns choices believe me, and certainly Supa John and others is/are the epitomy of what a Bolton player meant.

But in terms of raw skill, unpredictability and just that summat (e.g. the game I don't even remember what he did or who it was against, but I remember a bit of skill down by ESL that just made me lurch forward like someone had lamped me in the back with a shovel)  nobody could hold a cunting candle to Okocha, and likely ever will.

Alan Thompson for me. Loved seeing him take on players. I remember when we played villa at old Wembley and  he was on their books, don't think he played cause he was injured and he came to the Bolton end and waved n chatted to fans.

Edited by jagermoot

Remember Thommo in cup against Cardiff, they put 3 men on him at times & still cudnt stop him. Worth the admission price everton.e. Reidy is up there for me too....fuck me we could do with his like just now!

This is what I remember about Thommo too - seemed to do it every game.

Said it before but what must he have been like in his pomp.

Such a hard question to answer.

Same usual suspects as everyone else - Okocha, Djorkaeff, Bergsson, McGinlay et al.

I used to love Gerry Taggart as a solid defender, and I actually really liked Mark Fish too while he was with us.

I would say that, overall, it has to be Campo. Based the way I actually play on him (now I'm older and fatter) and, for a foreigner, he really took the club to his heart and played for the white shirt. Unlike a lot of today's players.

For me it's got to be someone who would run through brick walls for the club and know they are loved in Bolton more than any other place in the world so they might not be most skilful ever Wanderer but McGinlay and Gudni for me, Roy Greaves also a favourite of mine and I'm sure in years to come SKD and Nolo will be the same bracket.For sheer privilege of seeing them in a Wanderers shirt Andy Walker,Okocha, Djorkaeff and Anelka were awesome even though we were just a pit stop in their careers.

• Site Supporter

Tommo has a big place in my heart. A couple of weeks after the Coca Cola Cup Final in '95, I had to do a presentation in an English lesson about regional accents or some shit like that, so I based it on his post-match interview. I played the video of him scoring the goal then talking about it afterwards, and made some shit up. I was basically showing off that I'd been to Wembley watching Bolton, while all my classmates supported Manchester United or Liverpool and had never been to a game in their lives.

Gerry McElhinney, proper centre half who marked Karl-Heinz Rummenigge out of a game for Northern Ireland whilst a Bolton player. 

I remember him having a right battle with John Fashanu for Lincoln who was then transferred to Millwall in time to play in the next home game.

He used to drink with my dad at Heaton Cricket Club and 20 odd years later I had the pleasure of meeting him in the LoV before a game, a true gent.

Frankie Worthington, his goal at Blackburn that night will live in my memory forever, oh and Tommo brilliant winger, he did'nt beat his man once he went back and did it again.

That goal is on this website in the section where all the Bolton videos are, I've never seen the recording before so thought I'd mention it in case you've not seen it.