Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Insurance Claim

Thorpey

Missus gets her i-phone robbed from the hairdressers.  Hoodie caught on CCTV running in and legging it.

AXA agree to the claim and send £279 and tell her to get the £100 excess from the owner of the salon.

Is this right?  What do I do, go round and ask him for it?  Never heard of this before, I thought AXA paid out and he paid them.

Advice would be welcome. Ta.

Missus gets her i-phone robbed from the hairdressers.  Hoodie caught on CCTV running in and legging it.

AXA agree to the claim and send £279 and tell her to get the £100 excess from the owner of the salon.

Is this right?  What do I do, go round and ask him for it?  Never heard of this before, I thought AXA paid out and he paid them.

Advice would be welcome. Ta.

Whose insurance have you claimed on ?

If you lost a £400 item and claimed off your own insurance, they'd send you £300.

If the shop claims your £379, they'll receive £279 from Axa and have to give you £100 from the till/takings etc.

Seems fair to me, go get it.

It is the claim from the shop insurance and they agreed to pay given the CCTV.

Just don't get why we have to chase the £100 excess. ???

The insurance company's liability is the insured amount minus the excess they have paid that, if you want the full amount the only people who can pay that are the shop.

Although I would have thought that the contract for insurance is not with you, so not sure what the excess has to do with you.

If you have car crash then the excess is recovered from the third party (when the accident is not your fault )you do not have to go and chase the excess.

Edited by Ani

Is it under your home insurance? If you have legal expenses cover this would surely class as an uninsured loss, the claims settled in your favour so the legal expenses should be able to recover the excess.

Missus works for our insurance co and police advised to go to salon insurer given CCTV evidence, but never caught him.

Just don't get why we chase the excess and what happens if he refuses to pay or doesn't pay.

She's never come across this before.

Missus works for our insurance co and police advised to go to salon insurer given CCTV evidence, but never caught him.

Just don't get why we chase the excess and what happens if he refuses to pay or doesn't pay.

She's never come across this before.

I agree. Have worked I insurance for 20 plus years.

The insurance contract us between shop and insurance company, you are a third party.

Who submitted the claim you or the shop ? Did you sign anything that implied you would have to chase excess ?

The insurance company have paid the right amount out but think they should recover excess from policy holder. When you have a car crash and are not to blame you pay the excess up front and this is recovered from the other party and you get it back,

• Site Supporter

Why is the shop owner footing it at all? Genuinely curious.

Hairdressers. If coat has been hung up in a secure area whilst she's having her hair cut. . Hence why s lot of shops having disclaimers up saying 'accept no responsibility for theft or loss of personal items' generally see them on car parks on way in.

• Moderators

in safety law, businesses have a responsibility for 'visitors' be they welcome or not

its why a burglar falling through your roof leaves the owner of the premises liable

dunno if its the same with robbery but if it is, signs saying its nowt to do with us aren't worth a toss

I agree. Have worked I insurance for 20 plus years.

The insurance contract us between shop and insurance company, you are a third party.

Who submitted the claim you or the shop ? Did you sign anything that implied you would have to chase excess ?

The insurance company have paid the right amount out but think they should recover excess from policy holder. When you have a car crash and are not to blame you pay the excess up front and this is recovered from the other party and you get it back,

Missus submitted claim against his insurance and didn't sign anything to say she had to chase the excess.

Agreed AXA have paid out their bit and just thought they should recover excess and pay that too.  

Edited by Thorpey

Missus submitted claim against his insurance and didn't sign anything to say she had to chase the excess.

Agreed AXA have paid out their bit and just thought they should recover excess and pay that too.

I'd have thought this too.

Tell AXA to cough up and let them chase the excess!

I would tell axa that the contract of insurance is between them and the shop, you are expecting axa to pay you out the full amount and then they can collect the excess.