Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Would It Pass For Northern Soul Bolty ?

leigh white

Who cares.

It's a fabulous song, Pharrell is fabulous!

As posted on the Brits thread, he used the Northern Soul dancers because of his admiration of their talent & the fact he wanted to show respect to the UK.

Waiting for our ozzy critic for his view, to be fair, the song is so catchy you cant help but like it.

• Members

Sat watching the Brits with my son and missus. Me and the lad agreed the only things worth a carrot through the entire show were this and the drum and bass mob (Rumiwotsit?)

Like it. The man is a true musical talent and I am aware of his dabblings in other genres (didn't he faff about with some heavy metal at one time?)

Don't mind it all - be interesting to see if it's out on vinyl and gets a play at any of the NS venues down here.

They have just started a Northern Soul revival thing over here, even had Russ Winstanley come over. It was so successful they are looking at bringing him over once a month.

Not for me I am afraid the music is bollocks and when I stuck my head into one of these revival nights it just looked like a saga holiday on blueys!!!

• Members

I'm not taking the piss, but what exactly is northern soul, is it different to normal soul music?

Just curious because the old people where i used to work went on about it quite often.

You'll need much better bait son.

At least you amused Bury boy.

I'm not taking the piss, but what exactly is northern soul, is it different to normal soul music?

Just curious because the old people where i used to work went on about it quite often.

Glad it's not just me then.

Anyway, a quick google and hey presto. http://oldies.about.com/od/soulmotown/f/whatisnorthernsoul.htm

Is this article accurate Bolty?

In all honesty Bolty, I would be surprised if the majority of those under the age of say 25 or 30 would have a clue what Northern Soul is/was

You'd be surprised. A lot of younger people are now into the Northen Soul scene. Hearing their parents music and realising that its pretty damn good. The latest mid revival has also generated interest.

That looks like a fairly accurate summary Dazbob.During 60's America, a lot of young black artists were trying to emulate the Motown style,but only a small percentage of artists ever made it onto the Motown label.The rest ended up on small independent record labels and without the backing of a major label the records received very little radio airplay - so most sank without a trace,only to be rediscovered years later by club DJ's in the North of England.