Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Rugby League Thread

Pie Eater

What the fuck are you on about?

Those examples are related to popularity not it being the best

Do you think Man Utd’s sponsorship deal is related to their global appeal despite someone like Leicester winning the premier league more recently than they have

Those socks you wear. How do they rank in sales? I’m sure you’ll tell us they’re the best though

• Members

What the fuck are you on about?

Those examples are related to popularity not it being the best

Do you think Man Utd’s sponsorship deal is related to their global appeal despite someone like Leicester winning the premier league more recently than they have

Those socks you wear. How do they rank in sales? I’m sure you’ll tell us they’re the best though

See, you're getting all bent out of shape about nowt son. I do take your point though - I couldn't stand the Spice Turds or others like them and they would be prime examples of popularity not particularly relating to the best.

We of the Mod persuasion and it's various offshoots (Northern Soul etc.) celebrate the lack of knowledge of or even the appeal of 'our thing' to the great unwashed. Sets us apart see? Otherwise you may as well just jump in the sea. So, yes, you are correct. Pantherella's are indeed the best  :D (and not for tickets).

Totally different discussion about rugby codes or sport in general. What other measure of the best could there possibly be other than popularity (crowd sizes, worldwide viewing figures etc.)?

Edited by bolty58

• 1 month later...

It was a good workout for both teams (I’m a Swinton fan) Salford squad look very big and strong and I think every player had valuable minutes, be good if this could be a regular fixture again.

Iirc correctly there was a game between the teams a couple of years ago to remember Alan Henning who tragically lost his life at the hands of the murderous ISIS. An annual charity match would be a great idea and good luck for next season!

Yes, the original plans to build at Agecroft are still in place but that’s the long term of the chairman Andy Mazey (hopes within 5 years) until then we will probably remain at Heywood Road Sale. It was interesting today as one of the consortium owners did a speech and I’m sure he said something along the lines of he was hoping that Swinton and Salford could both play at the AJ Bell stadium.

Yes, the original plans to build at Agecroft are still in place but that’s the long term of the chairman Andy Mazey (hopes within 5 years) until then we will probably remain at Heywood Road Sale. It was interesting today as one of the consortium owners did a speech and I’m sure he said something along the lines of he was hoping that Swinton and Salford could both play at the AJ Bell stadium.

That would be ideal if Sale walk away. The fact is Salford get no revenue other than ticket sales so it needs to own the stadium outright in to change that. I and a group of other fans have met with the the Salford Red Devils CEO and the Mayor of Salford to see if we can build a plan to do just that which will include Swinton if they are interested. Lets see what happens over the coming months

That would be ideal if Sale walk away. The fact is Salford get no revenue other than ticket sales so it needs to own the stadium outright in to change that. I and a group of other fans have met with the the Salford Red Devils CEO and the Mayor of Salford to see if we can build a plan to do just that which will include Swinton if they are interested. Lets see what happens over the coming months

Makes a lot of sense that a smaller club should move in with a bigger one and just pay a small rent.

Leigh could do it at Wigan and Widnes at Warrington.

Attended the funeral of Alan McInnes today - a few of you RL lot may remember him

Former Salford player and joint head Wigan coach for a couple of years mid 80’s who also did RL reports on GMR for a good while and was on he disciplinary panel for years

Or Mr Mac as he was known to me

Absolutely superb bloke and my first real role model after my Dad. Was a teacher at our school and taught me rugby and cricket.

Shaun Edwards, Steve Smith (the other code) and England cricket coach Peter Moores in attendance amongst others. Standing room only as the church was packed.

He’ll be dearly missed

• 3 weeks later...

Round one is obviously too early to judge but Saints looked very good against Cas. Salford will do well to get into the top 8.

I fear for us this year mate. I really think we are in deep trouble.

Saints did look very good but I think is wide open this year. Would like to see Warrington win it but can’t see it. Would quite like hull to win it also but if new blood.

I fear for us this year mate. I really think we are in deep trouble.

Saints did look very good but I think is wide open this year. Would like to see Warrington win it but can’t see it. Would quite like hull to win it also but if new blood.

No doubt it will be a struggle and our game tomorrow night at Wakefield will be a good indicator as to how the season will go.

• 4 weeks later...