Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Rugby League Thread

Pie Eater

Great result for Salford. Back that up next week

And that should be us safe

re Toronto to be fair the amount of money the backers of that club have pumped in and the squad they’ve assembled they deserve it although it would be sad to see a Widnes or hull KR or Salford drop out for them I agree.

Tonight was a massive win for us and if we keep up that standard then we will be safe

• 1 month later...

Salford saved their Super League skins last night with a comfortable win over Toulouse. Really sad to see Widnes relegated and the likely prospect of facing the thugs from Toronto next season. There is something wrong with our sport if the likes of Toronto progress at the expense of our heartland clubs such as Leigh and Widnes 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Salford saved their Super League skins last night with a comfortable win over Toulouse. Really sad to see Widnes relegated and the likely prospect of facing the thugs from Toronto next season. There is something wrong with our sport if the likes of Toronto progress at the expense of our heartland clubs such as Leigh and Widnes 

That depends

Another way of looking at it is they've had their chance and failed so why shed any tears

• Site Supporter

I’m an outsider who’s never really got fully into it, but had spells supporting Warrington and Leigh and still look out for their results. 

Toronto????????

what the fuck is that all about, been aware of em for a couple of years and heard they’re dirty bastards but that’s about it. Not googling it as I’d prefer to hear it from some RL fan on here. Leyther White?

17 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I’m an outsider who’s never really got fully into it, but had spells supporting Warrington and Leigh and still look out for their results. 

Toronto????????

what the fuck is that all about, been aware of em for a couple of years and heard they’re dirty bastards but that’s about it. Not googling it as I’d prefer to hear it from some RL fan on here. Leyther White?

Not a lot of love for Toronto in the parish of Leigh, just a pure hatred for the cynical fuckers.

18 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Toronto????????

The RFL are hellbent on expanding the game at a time when Rugby League in the UK is at a crisis point. Declining attendances across the board; perilous finances in that SL clubs are wholly dependant on wealthy benefactors and SKYs iron fist control over fixtures irrespective of the club and fans interest. On the other hand they bend over backwards to allow Toronto to get into the top flight with relaxed conditions re salary cap and fixture arrangements. On top of that they have a deserved reputation of playing thugby with their dangerous play. 

The heartland clubs such as Widnes and Leigh are the sacrificial lambs in all of this and will struggle to reach the SL given the new format from next season. 

Red Star Belgrade have been accepted into the FA Challenge Cup in 2019 and there is talk of a NZ team wanting to join the league soon. The RFL are focussing on the wrong things whilst the game is slowly dying

I’ve no problem at all with Toronto. No bugger other than Wigan and Leeds seem to produce players these days so they’re far from alone on that score. Yeah they’ve got a few dirty buggers but most of them used to play for Leigh so it’s hard to criticise without being too hypocritical. And, having been over there, the fans they’ve attracted absolutely love the game and certainly do their homework so the more the merrier as far as I’m concerned. Certainly can’t be a bad thing for the game to get some attention elsewhere because it’s pretty much on its arse over here. 

Last five years, loved watching Leigh away, a great crack with the support and supping all over Yorkshire and far afield, fuck's sake, just keep those tasty games in London and Toulouse for me please and don't go bump.

34 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Toronto, Red Star Belgrade, NZ. What the hell is going on with RL? Instead of concentrating on expansion clubs they need to concentrate their efforts in the heartlands. Getting overseas teams involved will only get folk less interested. 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In fairness, the expansion clubs are largely self-driven, drawing their own investment and the like and not really asking for much from the RFL or, more vitally, central funds. 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In fairness, the expansion clubs are largely self-driven, drawing their own investment and the like and not really asking for much from the RFL or, more vitally, central funds. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, leigh white said:

I would just like to hear some news from the Leigh chairman, heard nothing for ages. At least Ken let's you know what's going on at Bolton in these tough times.

It seems as though Mr Beaumont has gone to ground following the announcement just before the end of the season. Leigh are a great club with a fantastic history in the game, i just hope they can rise again ditto for Widnes too

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It is a shame to see one of the heartland clubs struggling.  But did any of these clubs have an sympathy for Salford during our struggles? I suspect not. Happy to be proven wrong but I think they probably had a rye smile 

Barley knew they were still in that division