Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Rugby League Thread

Pie Eater

Aussie ref in this final wtf

They dispensed with a neutral requirement some time ago in order to allow the best referees to get the most important games.

And anyway the video ref was English.

For many years a St Helens referee could not have Saints v Wigan. Nowadays it is allowed.

Yeah that’s been the problem all tournament for me not finishing off great chances

Should have taken the points available from penalties. They went for tries but squandered possession.

The first two I could have kicked (well certainly in my prime, possibly even now).

The third one was wider out but still kickable, and a rebound off the posts would have been interesting.

Should have taken the points available from penalties. They went for tries but squandered possession.

The first two I could have kicked (well certainly in my prime, possibly even now).

The third one was wider out but still kickable, and a rebound off the posts would have been interesting.

Easy to say now but who would’ve thought Aussies only score 6 points. England mentality would’ve been we need tries.

Can’t fault them tactically myself. Thought it was superb against a brilliant side

Kept Aussies flair players very quiet.

Easy to say now but who would’ve thought Aussies only score 6 points. England mentality would’ve been we need tries.

Can’t fault them tactically myself. Thought it was superb against a brilliant side

Kept Aussies flair players very quiet.

It was not hindsight.

I was shouting to take the points on both the first half penalties, but either they couldn't hear me or ignored sound advice.

Can't remember what happened in the set after the first pen (other than that they didn't score), but from the second one they lost the ball in the second play.

6-2 is a lot better than 6-0, and 6-4 better still.

If England had won on 3 penalties and a drop goal the fact that Aus scored the only try wouldn't count for much.

It was not hindsight.

I was shouting to take the points on both the first half penalties, but either they couldn't hear me or ignored sound advice.

Can't remember what happened in the set after the first pen (other than that they didn't score), but from the second one they lost the ball in the second play.

6-2 is a lot better than 6-0, and 6-4 better still.

If England had won on 3 penalties and a drop goal the fact that Aus scored the only try wouldn't count for much.

Bollox! If if if..

Run it and get over the line. Didn't happen so it was tough for England. There was plenty of times we ran the ball and it was dropped on route. Should we have gone for the drop instead of running it?

• Members

Empty stadium. That's poor.

No surprise to me. Aussies have become bored with winning everything in that sport and much as they try to bull it up as a significant international sport, we all know that's not the case. AFL has made inroads into traditional RL territory and their crowds are growing whilst NRL's are heading in the opposite direction.

Will never get anywhere near RU in worldwide popularity. Is, will be and always has been a minority sport

No slight on the lads who love it - I agree that it is a fucking tough game for hard men. You can roll it in glitter all you want. A turd is still a turd.

Edited by bolty58

No surprise to me. Aussies have become bored with winning everything in that sport and much as they try to bull it up as a significant international sport, we all know that's not the case. AFL has made inroads into traditional RL territory and their crowds are growing whilst NRL's are heading in the opposite direction.

Will never get anywhere near RU in worldwide popularity. Is, will be and always has been a minority sport

No slight on the lads who love it - I agree that it is a fucking tough game for hard men. You can roll it in glitter all you want. A turd is still a turd.

Union is hardly a global sport, mind

Union is hardly a global sport, mind

True enough, but it does have some level of interest internationally, where as it's clear RL has absolutely zero interest outside Australia and the M62 corridor. I'm not sure what crowds they get for domestic games in Australia, but even in England they don't seem to be great from when I catch it on TV

• Members

Personal opinion

I’m saying that, in my opinion, it isn’t defined by popularity hence the examples I gave

Righto - RL should get you into their marketing department then. All the TV rights money, sponsorships and endorsements, the size of which are inextricably linked to popularity can go and get fucked.  A few Tombola's and meat raffles will make up the shortfall.