Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Cricket

• Site Supporter

When our 1sts played there the other week, the behaviour of some of their players and one banned player who was watching from the sidelines left a little to be desired.

Played there as in DH or Bradshaw?

• Site Supporter

Just had a phone call asking me to pass on apologies to daughter. It seems the DH players did have something to do rather than play cricket. Their 2nd team played their game at Little Lever in order that the DH club could host a charity day in aid of Help the Heroes (or a similar military charity) and the players wanted to get back for that. 

Regarding the "Fines for more than 5" comment, it seems to have come from a batter walking back after being bowled for 8. He shouted up to the rest of his players on the balcony, "Was there a fine for scoring more than five?" Even if he was joking it's a bit poor when folk have turned up to watch a cricket match and got, at best, half an hour of shit batting and half an hour of shit fielding by a team who would rather be elsewhere.

• Moderators

Just had a phone call asking me to pass on apologies to daughter. It seems the DH players did have something to do rather than play cricket. Their 2nd team played their game at Little Lever in order that the DH club could host a charity day in aid of Help the Heroes (or a similar military charity) and the players wanted to get back for that. 

Regarding the "Fines for more than 5" comment, it seems to have come from a batter walking back after being bowled for 8. He shouted up to the rest of his players on the balcony, "Was there a fine for scoring more than five?" Even if he was joking it's a bit poor when folk have turned up to watch a cricket match and got, at best, half an hour of shit batting and half an hour of shit fielding by a team who would rather be elsewhere.

end of the day, its a game

supposedly played for fun

Thanks for the reminder.

Agree with your comment about gulf in class. Even when we played DH 2s the other week both captains agreed we should bat first just to make some semblance of a game.

Edited by DazBob

one year LL 2nds were bowled out for 11 against tonge. One lad scored 9. Now a first teamer at LL as it happens. The others runs were wides.

Should never happen but it does

Two weeks later we played the the champions who were astley bridge and batting first scored 290/5 if I recall correctly and then bowled them out for just over 200. Chalk and cheese the two games.

Edited by Escobarp

Threw my bat at the head of a fielder and tried to get to the bowler but fell over before I got there cos I was always shite at running in pads ????

Last straw in a long list of misdemeanours. Not proud of any of them but sadly would probably do the same now if I played again

Temperament has always been questionable

We bowled Daz's team out for 14 in a cup semi final.

Im pretty sure they didnt plan that.

It does sometimes happen and the gulf in class between Bradshaw and Daisy is massive.

I was in the Heaton 3rds when we compiled 5 against egerton

Threw my bat at the head of a fielder and tried to get to the bowler but fell over before I got there cos I was always shite at running in pads ????

Last straw in a long list of misdemeanours. Not proud of any of them but sadly would probably do the same now if I played again

Temperament has always been questionable

Hmmm. Sounds like cricket isn't the sport for you. Have you thought about ice hockey or sommert?

Tried skating fell flat on my arse never went back

I played for the town team at cricket whilst at school

So was useful but then the temperament took over

Took up rugby league instead which was much more Tony liking and then rugby union in my latter years of playing

• 2 weeks later...