Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Cricket

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The league was fine for years without it.

Aim for the top and improve your club, rather than avoiding relegation.

it can easily be done with little player investment and a good junior section. Thats been proven   

2 hours ago, Horwich said:

The league was fine for years without it.

Aim for the top and improve your club, rather than avoiding relegation.

it can easily be done with little player investment and a good junior section. Thats been proven   

Of course, that goes without saying. 

There are established BCL clubs who would rather just throw money at players though rather than investing in youth development.

Let's not kid ourselves though, so many noses were put out of joint when Association clubs joined, especially when this resulted in BCL clubs playing in the lower tier. Ultimately they were playing in the lower tier because that's where they deserved to be but the snobbery around cricket wouldn't accept that.

• Site Supporter

We had an emergency meeting last season to discuss the possibility of moving to the Lancashire League. Players voted against it mainly because of the Sunday cricket element. Being a founder member the board also were keen to see it through.

We have had quite a high turnover of players throughout my time there and this has been unsettled which has resulted in indifferent seasons. 

I know some of the longer serving players do miss the rivalry of the CLL especially against Middleton, Rochdale, Norden and Walsden to name a few. 

One a positive slant they have enjoyed the cricket whilst in the Premier and it’s been a decent if not a very good standard. 

I don’t think its gone as planned upto now. 

Personally and from a second team perspective I’ve enjoyed playing at new grounds and against new opposition having played for Daisy and Heywood in the CLL. However the geographical split for the leagues has really been frustrating for me the last couple of seasons. We’ve been placed against more Dukinfield, Glossop Hyde areas and it certainly hasn’t helped. Last year we played Oldham and we payed against 9 men and then a couple of weeks after we played Saddleworth who had removed the 2nd x1 so we faced a first team and got an absolute smashing over the two games they were far too good for the division. We have Other clubs in better localities we could be playing. 

Don’t get me wrong we want to play against first teams, but there are that many alterations to clubs and ever revolving influx and exodus of clubs it’s difficult. We were only In the division we were in last year because a team dropped out after winning the division, Moorside or Heyside or similar think it was and we got promoted by default which we were not ready for really. 

it needs a long long time to settle. if it ever will. 

• 2 months later...