Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Cricket

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Surely it would be dependent on bars being allowed to open.  What would be the point of getting a game on when you have no way of making an income?

The aim is also to keep people involved in cricket, especially juniors we’ve lost nearly a season that’s massive in retaining players of all ages. With golf being accessible now for a month or so and cycling and other recreational activities ongoing we are in danger of losing a lot of cricketers. It’s crucial to get some games in, 

The expectation is that bars with outdoor spaces will reopen 4th July onwards. I’d imagine cricket clubs will be perfectly fine to open and with such large outdoor spaces to drink I’d imagine them being quite popular too. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

The aim is also to keep people involved in cricket, especially juniors we’ve lost nearly a season that’s massive in retaining players of all ages. With golf being accessible now for a month or so and cycling and other recreational activities ongoing we are in danger of losing a lot of cricketers. It’s crucial to get some games in, 

The expectation is that bars with outdoor spaces will reopen 4th July onwards. I’d imagine cricket clubs will be perfectly fine to open and with such large outdoor spaces to drink I’d imagine them being quite popular too. 

There's obviously the danger that kids will find something else to do but I still think getting a game of cricket on without some way of paying for the facilities; ground staff, equipment, feeding and weeding you'd soon run out of cash.

• Site Supporter

Clubs have done a range of things to be prepared for the resumption of cricket, Example all our players have payed subs in advance and membership renewals have been processed to bring in funds. Grants have been available for cricket clubs to take advantage of, the bars will be open revenue will start to improve, we luckily have some volunteers who look after the ground, can only be a good thing cricket resumes. localised games shorter formats maybe have a junior game prior to a senior game will boost revenue and bar sales. It should be very easy to get cricket up and running and like I say if the bars are open I envisage cricket clubs to be very popular. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Good news.

Traf: only one drawback in your assertion- would imagine many umpires have been shielding and may not want to come back... :)

Having no umpires would have been a problem cricket clubs should have had the opportunity to face.

• Site Supporter
On 04/07/2020 at 22:27, MickyD said:

Each club could provide an umpire but I’d hazard a guess at the number of totally impartial ones to be at about none whatsoever.

I see Bradshaw were on the local news earlier. No doubt be on again at 6.30.

Looking nice and verdant. :)

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I see Bradshaw were on the local news earlier. No doubt be on again at 6.30.

Looking nice and verdant. :)

Compare that with the need to use river water and the borrow of a pump and fire hose at the end of May. We’d just had a procedure known as sand banding on the outfield and then it didn’t rain for a month. Let’s just say we had a bit of a panic. It looked like the outfield was corrugated!

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Compare that with the need to use river water and the borrow of a pump and fire hose at the end of May. We’d just had a procedure known as sand banding on the outfield and then it didn’t rain for a month. Let’s just say we had a bit of a panic. It looked like the outfield was corrugated!

River water; that's the secret. Full of nutrients and fish shit.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

The worry was water borne seeds. That said, we've been flooded a few times without making the outfield into a forest. 

Aye, hadn't thought of that- would imagine mowing would quickly remove any unwanted seedlings though.

Anyway, I'm curious, once this drainage work was done, is new turf/seed applied, or does the machine somehow lift it up and then relay it?