Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First Favourite Computer Game

jules_darby

• Site Supporter

Anyone remember Toe Jam and Earl on the mega drive? That was fucked up.

That's one of the ones I got yesterday. .

Cant wait.

Remember hiring that from the video guy that used to drive round with all films and games on display in the back of the van.

A football manager game on the ZX81 where I edited the players names to Bolton ones. This and the mid 80's obligatory "10 PRINT Lee Schofield is gay 20 GOTO 10" on the display Spectrums they had upstairs in WH Smith are the extent of my computer programming experience.

I was on a market in York at weekend

Chap had a stall selling all the old consoles and games, a SNES went for £60 while I was stood looking. Wish I kept all my old stuff now

I nearly bought a gameboy and Tetris for £25 :-)

Best game, Tekken 2 or Tony Hawkes 2 I think

Loved Crash Bandicoot to

One of the early editions of champ man had mark winstanley as a background

I remember a crap football game on the SNES called goal striker or something crap like that.

The only Bolton Player on there was Mixu Paatelainen for Finland.

It was hard work trying to get Finland to win the World Cup.

• Site Supporter

Soccer Boss on the ZX Spectrum. The 'save game' function NEVER worked, so I had to leave the Spectrum on constantly for weeks at a time, but the game would eventually crash, and I'd have to start again. I was only 7 or 8 at the time. Fuck knows how I had so much patience at that age. When I got Championship Manager on the Amiga, I thought the human race had peaked.

First game I remember playing was Horace Goes Skiing on big bro's Speccy 48k. Then a game called Booty, which was a Manic Miner kind of game.

Kids don't know they're born nowadays, just sticking a disc into the PS3/4 or Xbox.  They'll never know what it felt like to sit and wait for an eternity for a tape to load ... with no guarantee that it would actually load.

If anyone in the house moved a muscle it would come up something like, 'data? rewind tape' and you would need to start again.  I also remember some games came with a spyglass encryption you pressed on the screen and if you were fluent in Hebrew you could translate the code.

• Moderators

had a pretty good console that plugged into the tv around binatone time, but it was colour...quite good

pacman and space invaders on the atari

then premier manager on the amiga

wolfenstein, civilisation, f1gp and pga tour first pc games

oh and only arcade game i was ever any good at was moon crest

I remember a crap football game on the SNES called goal striker or something crap like that.

The only Bolton Player on there was Mixu Paatelainen for Finland.

It was hard work trying to get Finland to win the World Cup.

I was buzzing for Fifa 97 on the SNES when we'd got promoted. BWFC on indoor mode.

I had a 128k Speccy, so I had Daley Thompson's Supertest :blum: Fuck knows what my parents thought we were up to as the waggling sessions nearly destroyed the wanky MFI computer table I had - and then we'd have a go on Daley Thompson ;)...

Regarding games not loading, there were fucking loads of games that loaded and were so shit as to be unplayable...

I remember getting this compilation from Microtrix on Great Moor Street...

magnificent-seven.jpg

Short Circuit was shite, Frankie Goes to Hollywood totally unfathomable/unplayable and Wizball was too difficult...And this £9.99 spent was thought of as getting a bargain!

It was worth it for Head over Heels alone though, this was probably the best game I've ever played on a pound for pound (memory and £) basis - must've played on that for days, me and a mate taking turns with our characters.

Still got a SNES and dug it out yesterday after reading this thread, not played on a console for years apart from a token go on a Wii a few times...I can't say it's aged well - a few goes on StreetFighter II, Mario Kart and Super Mario World 3 (which was rock hard, how I 'clocked' it back in the day I'll never know) and I was bored - I reckon' a kid would probably laugh at a SNES or Megadrive now...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I remember it's predecessor, FIFA '96 - which had the groundbreaking feature of a digitised voice of John Motson shouting "IT'S A GOAL!" and not much else IIRC...

I think that was the last game I actually bought, no, I tell a lie, I bought GTA 2 and Premier Manager '98 for the PC - and that's it, I started Premier Manager in two player mode, me as BWFC and the scum, sold all our shite to the scum for hundreds of millions, aborted two player mode - then built the Reebok to 120,000 capacity with all the trimmings and won the European Cup and Premier League with us until it got boring, then folded up my 'gaming' chair for good.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I remember it's predecessor, FIFA '96 - which had the groundbreaking feature of a digitised voice of John Motson shouting "IT'S A GOAL!" and not much else IIRC...

You could mix it up a bit whenever you scored a goal if memory serves me right "IT'S IT'S IT'S A IT'S IT'S A GOAL!".

In the earliest version (Fifa International Soccer?) you could run away from the referee if he was going to book you.

Italia '90 on the Megadrive was the king of 16-bit football games though.

"GOL!"

BJIPLYtCQAAy1vu.jpg+large.jpg