Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First Away Day

Rembrandt

Apologies if it's been done before (it probably has), but standing outside Hillsborough yesterday got me thinking. And that's not so easy these days.

My first away day should have been Hillsborough. My dad & older brother went, so I have the programme, but they wouldn't take me - they said the crowd would be too big at a FA Cup quarter-final, the club's first quarter-final since, erm, .......... oh, the previous season. It was 65,000 so maybe they were right.

Instead my first away day came the next season, also the FA Cup, at St Andrews. Crowd of 56,800 but I was a year older & bigger.

Maybe what triggered my thoughts was the programme shop outside Hillsborough. They had Wanderers programmes in the window from that era of games I was at. Enough to make anyone think.

I guess that makes me officially a .......... an ......... a mature fan. Definitely not a Werthers 'owd codger'.

Edited by Rembrandt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huddersfield Away (with NB) around 1990 I think. My mate had just passed her driving test so it was a bit of an adventure getting there

Ha ha, her driving has never got any betterer. It was Emley in the cup at their ground wasn't it? Parked her mum's car on some rough estate fully expecting not to see it again :)

Just been on BWFC Stats and I was miles out. Bury was my 14th birthday we lost 2-1, Villa 3-1 win with my dad in the home end was my 13th birthday and therefore my 1st away game. The Blackburn corporate was 1999 and we lost 3-1.

Far too long ago to remember but do remember my lad's first away, Charlton 23 March 2002 for his 9th birthday.

Sat in the Antigallican when Mrs Dee rang to see how he was, "yeah he's fine he's gone to the ground" says I, "where are you" says she, "in the pub" says I, at which point I had a sudden mobile signal failure!

I will point out I wasn't totally irresponsible, he was with his mate who was 12.