Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brian Clough

mr_disco

when we got stuffed by notts county 6-0 i was sat in their stand right at the back. halfway through the first half i turned round and brian clough was sat right behind me, cap and collar up on his coat trying not to be noticed. he even winked at me. 

Half way through the first half , we'd be 5 down at that point , what an awful game that was , crammed in a little corner of the County Road side , 5 goals in seven minutes ! Our leaky defence made news at Ten !

I remember going to Forest in 1975/6. I think we won 2-1. The Forest fans were giving a lot of stick to the ex-Derby players in their team, especially John McGovern, who was barracked every time he touched the ball. It was pretty rough on the terraces too, as was usual in those days, but a good away win for the Wanderers.

My dad, big bloke, ex-army, never went to a match again after that. He had started taking me as a young kid that season but that day put him off for life.

So sometimes when the older folk on here go on about the fun and games in the 70's I think they are a set of bastards for all the matches I could have gone to with my dad.

Sad that whites man, I was a 14 year old kid and was in the Lever End that day, the lad I went with took a hit with a slate tile to the head and it's was more aerial warfare than fists, but your right it was brutal, the stupid 14 year old lad in me somehow was scared very scared but excited at the same time it's crazy when I look back but the whole match day experience in the 70s had me hooked I loved the football but also in a perverse way the whole anarchy surrounding football back then. Edited by Mounts Kipper

I remember going to the city ground for a league cup game, sept 85 i think.

The only time ever i've took my wife to a game and the only game she's since been to. Wanderers fans in a pen on the Bridgford End terrace. Forest score early doors, fans in the Cloughie stand start taunting , wanderers fans start climbing the fences to try and get over , police club em with truncheons as they reach the top.

"I want to go home she said"...."the exits over there" i replied.

She stood for 90 mins with me , but vowed never to go to any game again. she used to let my daughters come with me to local away matches, but the delights of field mill, meadow lane and reserve games at the city ground, never convinced my daughters thst being a wanderer was much fun :-)

Is it true what they say, 5 women to every mon ?

Back in the day when the lace industry was a major employer in the city it may have been so. When i was a 20 something youth in the city , i never saw that much evidence of it.

Always used to be a top night out in the city centre though. Still is now i believe :-)

• Members

Forest v Bolton matches are always a big day for me although I've never had much to smile about watching the Wanderers at the City Ground. One win in 30+ years !

Now then, young man, would that solitary win be the day that Neil Whatmore nodded the ball out of the keepers hands at the Trent End and then slotted it home securing us a 2-1 win?

We had some fun that day too. Remember a Forest fan going for an unexpected swim off that bridge   :D

Edited by bolty58

Now then, young man, would that solitary win be the day that Neil Whatmore nodded the ball out of the keepers hands at the Trent End and then slotted it home securing us a 2-1 win?

We had some fun that day too. Remember a Forest fan going for an unexpected swim off that bridge :D

My debut at the city ground while living in nottm was the 1-1 in 79 when trevor francis scored his first goal for forest to preserve forests unbeaten home run. My first win was in the promotion season 2-0 . I sat in the cloghie stand with my mate , my daughter and her mate. She had free tickets for 100 % attendance at school.....originally they werr for forest v blackburn...but i went to the forest ticket office and changed 'em. It was hard to keep quite in the stand and all four of us leaped in the air when deano slotted in ricardo's cross

I have never seen anyone thrown in the trent.... It is a long way down from trent bridge to the water...and the currents in the trent are pretty bad....its renowned for being a bad river for drownings

• Moderators

slightly before my time doing aways, were you at the 3-3 cup game when they scored at the death

the big money ricardo ponte did his one decent thing in the time he was there

lost the replay to the one kick francis got all night!

slightly before my time doing aways, were you at the 3-3 cup game when they scored at the death

Yes , it was blowing a gale towards the bridgford end, shilts goal kicks struggled to get 25 yards

I went to the replay at burnden on a barton football coach (bit like a ribble bus). I was directing the driver off st. Peters way and along manny road. The bus got bricked as it left the car park behind the embankment. My forest mate was impressed we got a spot with an uninterrupted view between two stantions on the burnden paddock.

Trevor francis loved playing against us

when we got stuffed by notts county 6-0 i was sat in their stand right at the back. halfway through the first half i turned round and brian clough was sat right behind me, cap and collar up on his coat trying not to be noticed. he even winked at me. 

Might have been there to see McGovern.

Half way through the first half , we'd be 5 down at that point , what an awful game that was , crammed in a little corner of the County Road side , 5 goals in seven minutes ! Our leaky defence made news at Ten !

Not that little. We were well supported that night.

Not looked at the stats but I was there didn't Hoggan have a blinder?

Not looked at the stats but I was there didn't Hoggan have a blinder?

Aye got a place in scotland u21 based on his mazy runs at the city ground. Cannot remember him doung owt else for us.

Very 'john robertson with pace' that day, not that robbo needed pace to skip past you