Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

19 Years Ago

Thorpey

Despite my best efforts to get out of taking my family on holiday to St Ives to travel to Wembley I couldn't manage it but I did manage to watch it on TV in the local and have never experienced the highs and lows of football in one day that I did that day....those memories are priceless

• Site Supporter

I had two cans of Super Strength before the game I was 15 has my face painted and a Union Jack around the shoulders and a blue n white wig was in tears at two nil went for a piss on the way back to my seat an a fella told me to buck up this wasn't finished yet!

The feeling when the equaliser went in was like nothing ever I had felt before

I shudder to think what the score would have been if they'd converted that penalty. They were absolutely battering us at the time. Lee Nogan looked a decent striker. I wonder what happened to him?

I shudder to think what the score would have been if they'd converted that penalty. They were absolutely battering us at the time. Lee Nogan looked a decent striker. I wonder what happened to him?

Wiki says Asst Manager at Halifax

Reading's biggest mistake was chasing a third goal when they were leading 2-1. Even though it was virtually the end of the game, there were acres of space for us to break into for the equaliser.

As soon as he saved the pen I knew we'd win. Was utterly convinced of it.

It's no exaggeration to say I was 100% sure we'd won as soon as that penalty didn't go in.

Their was a special vibe to that team / era, nothing was impossible.

I was an absolutely steaming drunk 20 year old, but going 2 down and conceding a penalty sobered me up sharpish.