Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1 Hour 25 Minutes

globaldiver

Signs gone up on approach to M60 this week on my usual commute. Motorway improvement work until Summer 17!!

Changing to smart motorway between junctions 8 & 20.

I recently asked the Head of Policy in Manchester whether it was a good idea to be doing all of this work at once. She said that it was best to do them all at once, get them out of the way.

This area will be at a standstill for the next couple of years and hoping for a brand new bright tomorrow.

My concern is that the wrong types are making the decisions. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by boltondiver

It's works well on the M6 / M42 round Birmingham, and M62 / M621 near Bradford / dirty Leeeeds

A genuine question, in what way? I still fail to see why slowing traffic down eases congestion. Its just the same traffic going slower

Brilliant, at the same time as the Lancs and central Manc are being dug up.

Fucking 18 months to fix Water Street bridge!

You omitted that they are also electrifying the train line at the same time, with one train/hour from Lostock to Mcr starting from next Friday

Either a big sucess or epic failure

• Site Supporter

Brilliant, at the same time as the Lancs and central Manc are being dug up.

Fucking 18 months to fix Water Street bridge!

There's also water main diversion work going on in that same closure as well as train line work. That road probably won't open again in any case to be honest

A genuine question, in what way? I still fail to see why slowing traffic down eases congestion. Its just the same traffic going slower

My wristwatch tells me :)

Maintaining an average speed istead of stopping, waiting for the traffic to start moving again, with the small responsive delay  each time, and having the hard shoulder avaialble as an extra lane at peak times increasing capacity by a third.

• Site Supporter

Really? FFS! Cunts.

That's what we are told , the sewer work is coming to an end, then network rail take over but in all probability the closure will be applied to be made permanent once all work are complete.

Getting to the point where parking in Salford and spacehoppering it in is viable.

I wondered what the 250 parking spaces at M60/M61 were for!

My wristwatch tells me :)

Maintaining an average speed istead of stopping, waiting for the traffic to start moving again, with the small responsive delay each time, and having the hard shoulder avaialble as an extra lane at peak times increasing capacity by a third.

Haha. The times I have been on (without proof) just feel like its stop, start but being told to go slower or get snapped. On a trip to London a few week back had it in brum and M25 and took nearly 7 hours. Edited by tomski

Signs gone up on approach to M60 this week on my usual commute. Motorway improvement work until Summer 17!!

Changing to smart motorway between junctions 8 & 20.

Carrington to Heywood, that's a long stretch to crawl.

As white van man and repmobile guy cant do over 40 they get over in plenty of time rather than leaving it till the last minute causing a Mexican break behind them.

Or my personal favourite stopping in the 3rd lane of the m60 as theyve tried cutting out the queue for the m62/m602.

• 2 weeks later...

6 weeks of rolling effortlessly into Manc.

I'll be back in September slagging off the breeders we've reappeared en mass to fuck up the roads.

Like a holiday for us!

It does work to be fair, the slower the traffic goes the less stopping distance between cars and the more vehicles on the road. Much rather cruise at 40moh than stop start

They need it on the M6 from Stoke to the M62

It does work to be fair, the slower the traffic goes the less stopping distance between cars and the more vehicles on the road. Much rather cruise at 40moh than stop start

They need it on the M6 from Stoke to the M62

I'd rather go office or home based. Utter shit the motorways.

Edit. Fuck office based, just home based.

Edited by tomski

Home based is the best

I would never go back

But then again I have to schlep to london every other week. Took me 5 hours to get back last week

I need to get on that mate. Don't mind mooching down to London either.