Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hup Holland Hup

Big E

• Moderators

RVP & De Jong both not fit enough. Starting them both thus potentially leaving himself with only one other sub, playing so conservatively and Vlaar taking first pen....Van Gaal has a few question marks against him. Long may it continue!

at international level maybe, not at european, but hopefully it won't continue

You have to admire Dirk Kuyt

He's like a Dutch Beckham in a way; a very limited footballer who seems to squeeze every last drop of potential out of those limitations to be the best he possibly can with an amazing work rate and incredible self discipline

You must be joking. He's nothing like Beckham. He's more like James Milner... an athlete in a football shirt.

Holland have gone backwards since the group stages, left it late v Mexico, 0-0 v Costa Rica and 0-0 last night vs a very average Argentina. It was a rubbish game, only chances were Robben in the 90th minute and Palacio's weak header in extra time.

Maybe LVG should have left Huntelaar on the bench and waited till the 120th min again and put Krul on :/ their no.1 keeper should have saved Aguero's and Maxi's imo but probably felt a lot of pressure after what happened v Costa Rica and effected his saves?

Germany can be got at just like Algeria did against them, just scoring a single goal v Neuer seems like a great achievement in itself, predicted an Argentina WC win, though they'll need to step it up and Messi needs to get more involved than he was last night.

Edited by Didledee

You must be joking. He's nothing like Beckham. He's more like James Milner... an athlete in a football shirt.

That's why I qualified the comment in that saying both have made the absolute most of their careers despite being limited in many ways

Kuyt has played over 100 times for Holland including the WC final in 2010 and the semi in 2014, so I doubt that he'll lose sleep over some plantpot likening him to Milner on the internet

That's why I qualified the comment in that saying both have made the absolute most of their careers despite being limited in many ways

Kuyt has played over 100 times for Holland including the WC final in 2010 and the semi in 2014, so I doubt that he'll lose sleep over some plantpot likening him to Milner on the internet

...or the sort of plantpot who thinks that Beckham was a 'very limited footballer'.

...or the sort of plantpot who thinks that Beckham was a 'very limited footballer'.

Beckham was limited - but he worked extremely hard to make himself the best that he could.

It's all relative and what I was saying that there are plenty of players with more talent than Beckham that didn't apply themselves in the same way and therefore achieve as much as him in their careers - see Paul Gascoigne and the like.

Holland have gone backwards since the group stages, left it late v Mexico, 0-0 v Costa Rica and 0-0 last night vs a very average Argentina. It was a rubbish game, only chances were Robben in the 90th minute and Palacio's weak header in extra time.

Maybe LVG should have left Huntelaar on the bench and waited till the 120th min again and put Krul on :/ their no.1 keeper should have saved Aguero's and Maxi's imo but probably felt a lot of pressure after what happened v Costa Rica and effected his saves?

Germany can be got at just like Algeria did against them, just scoring a single goal v Neuer seems like a great achievement in itself, predicted an Argentina WC win, though they'll need to step it up and Messi needs to get more involved than he was last night.

Certainly, switching GKs in one shoot -out and then not being able to in the next (so that the GK knew he didn't have LVG's confidence but circumstances had forced his hand) cannot of helped. But I understand he has never saved any penalty in a shoot-out.

He had to start De Jong for 'tactical' reasons, so may have been better starting Huntelaar instead of RVP. Whatever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.