Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sleep Paralysis

Garrp

It always the night after having a drink

just as i'm at the point of falling asleep my body goes into shut down mode and I start shaking unable to move but my eyes are open and i'm aware what is happening

when it started it was 5 or 10 seconds then id snap out of it but now its 30 second to a minute

it feels like it's going to leave me brain damaged or something

That sounds dreadful, mate - I'd probably go to the drs - mind you they'll probably just say cut down on the booze if that's the trigger.

aye, that's what they said each of the three times i've been :)

I think we're beyond that point, mate. :D

I also have sleep apnoea, but I think a combination of me being unable to breathe through my nose properly and also being a fat cunt isn't helping.

• Moderators

just as i'm at the point of falling asleep my body goes into shut down mode and I start shaking unable to move but my eyes are open and i'm aware what is happening

when it started it was 5 or 10 seconds then id snap out of it but now its 30 second to a minute

When this happens, do you by any chance have your widgy in your hand?

Horrible, I had it every day for about 2 weeks once

Have you had the sounds and blurred visions yet?

Always happens to me when I wake myself up from a bad dream

Mate of mine who is a BFB and had severe sleep apnoea (kept falling asleep at the wheel during the day) got a breathing device to use at night from the NHS which resolved the problem.  Anyone similarly affected could presumably go down the same route.

One of my mates has one of those breathing devices for when he sleeps as he has such bad sleep apnea, Nobody ever wants to share a room with him when we go away, it's like sharing a room with Darth Vader........and it puts you off your stroke when you're trying to bum him

Has happened to me a lot, not much over the last year or so. Starts with atrocious tinnitus, then you can feel it's coming and then this bizarre fifth dimension where you know exactly what is happening despite feeling detached from yourself but can't do a thing about it but ride it out.

However, be rational. It is not nice but it is medically irrelevant. And if you really care a lot about it, three visits to doctors have told you why it may very well exist in your case.

My best advice, and it will sound weird, is to enjoy it and try to fully experience it. It's a feeling like no other, no drug I ever mucked with as a younger bloke ever got near it for quite how much it detaches you from your normal self. You're experiencing  a unique thing which is completely harmless. It can't do anything to you so there is no reason to scared of it. Take control.

Has happened to me a lot, not much over the last year or so. Starts with atrocious tinnitus, then you can feel it's coming and then this bizarre fifth dimension where you know exactly what is happening despite feeling detached from yourself but can't do a thing about it but ride it out.

However, be rational. It is not nice but it is medically irrelevant. And if you really care a lot about it, three visits to doctors have told you why it may very well exist in your case.

My best advice, and it will sound weird, is to enjoy it and try to fully experience it. It's a feeling like no other, no drug I ever mucked with as a younger bloke ever got near it for quite how much it detaches you from your normal self. You're experiencing  a unique thing which is completely harmless. It can't do anything to you so there is no reason to scared of it. Take control.

You're sounding like Timothy Leary!

1401221892041.png

• 2 weeks later...

went bed last night

woke up on my balcony outside shivering

don't remember getting out of bed and going there

now feel like iv got the flu shivering like a cunt

not had a drink in a week

what the fuck is going on

went bed last night

Have you been on the crack again?

Sounds like you're going cold turkey mate

went bed last night

Thinly veiled

I live in a posh apartment with my own balcony :)

You know the probable cause, and the unpalatable solution.

You have to knock the booze on the head for a sustained period, then re-evaluate your relationship with it if/when you decide you want to resume having a drink.

I don't want to alarm you, but heavy boozing alters some folk's brain chemistry and the pathways within the brain - laying off it for a week here and there and convincing yourself the cause lies elsewhere could end in long-term problems, and worse, may end up in having to be totally abstinent for good.

Do some reading about alcohol and GABA, some of the factors described may ring true with what's happening to you.