Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays For The Self Employed Brigade

Smiley

Personally I think 40 quid is quite reasonable?

Me too.

Like I asked before,when mulling over quotes and prices such as these you need to ask yourself the question.

How much would I want for driving to someone's house and cleaning their chimney?

Apply with any trade or service.

...youri is just a skinflint anyway :-)

I think ''What do I have to do to make £40?'' (four blowjobs btw :) ) and ''Could I do this myself reasonably competently in less time than it takes me to make £40?''

In the case of the chimney sweep the answer to question two is yes, so s*d him...

I ain't a skinflint, Gonzo, I think of my cash expenditure as portions of the time it takes to make it. That's the one commodity every single person on the planet has a finite amount of - time.

I think ''What do I have to do to make £40?'' (four blowjobs btw :) ) and ''Could I do this myself reasonably competently...

I got to here before I thought "no". Never met you but after the window debacle (hope that was you) you don't seem like the DIY type.

The window debacle, well, it's turned into a saga...

I had two options after uncovering what was basically painted compost masquerading as window frames...

1. Live without windows until I raise £2.5k for new units.

or

2. Repair them.

Well, it's more of a job than first anticipated, I've had to make new pieces for the bottom/sills, but they're almost done and they aren't too bad actually.

So stick that up your hooter! :)

I've been doing the gutters an' all - that's why I've got Rod as my avatar, unlike that foolish fellow, I've been using an arrest harness and lanyard...

My so called 'safety' line is probably going to have me ending up like Wile E Coyote tho' if I do fall (although it is fashione out of top drawer climbing rope)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Arguing with mesen again, but I thought most blokes had to get handy if they leave home early(ish) in life? When I was twenty I had better things to spend my money on than paying a tradesman to fix or install sommat (booze and drugs for one, well, two if you count them separately).

I wish I was a neighbour of yours. It must be comedy gold watching you doing your home 'improvements'.

BTW, I'd be useless too, I just wouldn't be brave enough to try.

I ain't kidding myself, they are in the bracket of ''they'll do for now'' usually, but it's all experience and you do get better...

I'd be confident to say, fit a bathroom for someone else now, or my own - and it wouldn't need doing 'properly' again.

Arguing with mesen again, but I thought most blokes had to get handy if they leave home early(ish) in life? When I was twenty I had better things to spend my money on than paying a tradesman to fix or install sommat (booze and drugs for one, well, two if you count them separately).

I left home at 18 given some of the shitholes I've lived in I had the same motto but also spent the cheap fix money on booze and other things.

Once lived with the lads in a house that had a leaky bath tub, destroyed most of the living room wall and ceiling beneath the bath.

It was touch and go as to whether you'd finish your bath in the living room or not for the best part of 3 years. All because not one of the 5 of us could be arsed paying 6 quid for some sealant and a gun OR ringing the landlord to come fix it.

I think ''What do I have to do to make £40?'' (four blowjobs btw :) ) and ''Could I do this myself reasonably competently in less time than it takes me to make £40?''

In the case of the chimney sweep the answer to question two is yes, so s*d him...

I ain't a skinflint, Gonzo, I think of my cash expenditure as portions of the time it takes to make it. That's the one commodity every single person on the planet has a finite amount of - time.

But you couldn't do it in the same time as him. Firstly you'd have to assemble all of the relevant tools to do the job. He's arriving with them. You'd have to go out and buy them. So, unless your house backs on to the likes of Wickes, B&Q, etc - there's no way on earth you could do his job in the same time. And smoke bombs don't grow on trees, so there is some outlay per job for them.

£40 is a very good price.

If you get quoted £40 for a job and it is done to a decent standard how long it takes is irrelevant.

I am off on holiday from Weds and will be working today to make sure everything is done before I go.

Self employed talk bleating about basically being self employed is bolocks if you do not like it go back to being employed.

Smiley saying it is hard to fit holidays in is like Belladonna saying a baseball bat is a bit of a squeeze.

In reply to Smiley, I presume most folk would buy a brush head online, ditto smokebombs - small value items like these, I tell my postie to chuck them round the back, so no need for waiting in. Most folk have drain rods already, if not, there's 10 metre sets at Home Bargains for thirteen quid.

I only singled out the chimney sweeping because it's something relatively unfamiliar, so we defer to an 'expert', but as I pointed out - a mate had one round and he admitted he knew little about chimneys other than how to stick his brush up.

Most people don't call someone out for other occasional tasks such as; mowing a lawn, changing a tyre, regrouting tiles, unblocking a sink etc. - So why get a bloke for the chimney? It isn't a one-off thing, they need doing at least annually...

I need a gas pipe re-routing at some point before winter, I'll be getting an engineer in for that, the minor jobs though - I have a go.

Like I mentioned to Winchester, anyone needs jobs of twenty minutes in duration and requiring little or no skill or knowledge - hoovering up or clipping the hedges, for example, if you live in Bolton, give me a shout, I'll do it for thirty five quid (and a can of Tennants Super Strength). :)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I get pretty much every job done by a professional. Not because I'm short of something to spend my money on but because I want it to be done properly. If it isn't, then they will need to correct it.

It's simple really. Give people work, keep the economy going.