Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Scotch Vote

no balls

I genuinley believe that the Union Jack is the best and most iconic flag in the world. The fact that it's incorporated on to the Australian/Kiwi/Fijian and many more is just ace, it would be sad to lose it.

I went to T in the Park recently and we got talking to a Scottish lad who served in Afghanistan and he said he would be absolutely gutted if they became independent. He went to war with fellow Brits and they all looked after one another.

Like it or not they're the most similair people to us in the world (including Wales and N.I). It would be a massive shame to lose them. That said, if they do decide to go then F*** them.

Edited by Super Bock

I genuinley believe that the Union Jack is the best and most iconic flag in the world. The fact that it's incorporated on to the Australian/Kiwi/Fijian and many more is just ace, it would be sad to lose it.

I went to T in the Park recently and we got talking to a Scottish lad who served in Afghanistan and he said he would be absolutely gutted if they became independent. He went to war with fellow Brits and they all looked after one another.

Like it or not they're the most similair people to us in the world (including Wales and N.I). It would be a massive shame to lose them. That said, if they do decide to go then F*** them.

I lived on Kona in Hawaii for a few months a couple of years back, and I took pride walking past the stars and stripes when next  to it was the Hawaiian flag with a Union Jack all over it.

• Members

Won't happen pal so don't worry. When you add together types like the Union Bears; those who fear losing their benefits; currency fears and the majority of Scottish businesses being 'anti', there's no way it will be a 'yes' vote.

When you are talking 'most similar', don't forget our German brothers. We are Anglo Saxons (under whom the English Nation was born), not Celts.

For me, the fact it's even a debate based on whether they'll be a tenner better off or whatever, means that they should leave. It's like a woman leaving her husband because she will be better off with benefits and csa money. If it's even a serious thought in your mind, go.

Think it's really sad to be honest after we've stood side by side in brutal wars, we obviously share the same values, we've had the same laws and government for god knows how long.

All these debates are a waste of fucking time too, to be honest I think the vast majority will vote according to whether they are anti English or not. They will concoct an argument to make it seem like a considered opinion but it will boil down to nationalism / anti English sentiment.

What if they vote no, do they shut the fuck up then? I suspect not. Salmond has been banging this drum for so long it's become a habit.

• Moderators

For me, the fact it's even a debate based on whether they'll be a tenner better off or whatever, means that they should leave. It's like a woman leaving her husband because she will be better off with benefits and csa money. If it's even a serious thought in your mind, go.

Think it's really sad to be honest after we've stood side by side in brutal wars, we obviously share the same values, we've had the same laws and government for god knows how long.

All these debates are a waste of fucking time too, to be honest I think the vast majority will vote according to whether they are anti English or not. They will concoct an argument to make it seem like a considered opinion but it will boil down to nationalism / anti English sentiment.

What if they vote no, do they shut the fuck up then? I suspect not. Salmond has been banging this drum for so long it's become a habit.

agree with you

but lets not pretend all the bigots are on their side of the wall

lets fcuk all our bigots over the wall and the scottish unionists come n live with us

Won't happen pal so don't worry. When you add together types like the Union Bears; those who fear losing their benefits; currency fears and the majority of Scottish businesses being 'anti', there's no way it will be a 'yes' vote.

When you are talking 'most similar', don't forget our German brothers. We are Anglo Saxons (under whom the English Nation was born), not Celts.

I thought it wouldn't happen, and I still remain that way inclined, but something has changed irrevocably and it's going to be very, very close. Scotland is tearing itself apart over this, all by dint of one party who got into power despite rules being put into place so they hopefully never would.

Scotland is currently my company's biggest area of growth, culturally Scotland is flying high. We cover the whole of the UK despite funding powers being split between ACE, Creative Scotland, ACW and Audiences NI. In a Yes result, nothing will change for us but we will lose something which is why the majority of my Scottish colleagues are voting No. I just hope it's No to wipe that self satisfied smirk off Alex Salmond's face. 

Personally I feel more British than English and I hope it will still remain my country on the 19th. We are a small island brought together for over 300 years of prosperity, we are a diverse, accepting and powerful nation above our size because we work together. Increasing boarders and divisions has no place in the UK in 2014. I have sympathies for Yes voters who feel they are run by London, but they are not - they have greater devolved powers and should feel themselves lucky to be in the position they are.

I know I'll get sneered at for this but The Progressive Patriot by Billy Bragg actually chimes with many on this boards ideas about what it means to be English, how we can take pride in our nation without it descending into bitter and restrictive nationalism.

Bolty, do you spend your leisure time pretending you're John of Gaunt?

I thought it wouldn't happen, and I still remain that way inclined, but something has changed irrevocably and it's going to be very, very close. Scotland is tearing itself apart over this, all by dint of one party who got into power despite rules being put into place so they hopefully never would.

Scotland is currently my company's biggest area of growth, culturally Scotland is flying high. We cover the whole of the UK despite funding powers being split between ACE, Creative Scotland, ACW and Audiences NI. In a Yes result, nothing will change for us but we will lose something which is why the majority of my Scottish colleagues are voting No. I just hope it's No to wipe that self satisfied smirk off Alex Salmond's face.

Personally I feel more British than English and I hope it will still remain my country on the 19th. We are a small island brought together for over 300 years of prosperity, we are a diverse, accepting and powerful nation above our size because we work together. Increasing boarders and divisions has no place in the UK in 2014. I have sympathies for Yes voters who feel they are run by London, but they are not - they have greater devolved powers and should feel themselves lucky to be in the position they are.

I know I'll get sneered at for this but The Progressive Patriot by Billy Bragg actually chimes with many on this boards ideas about what it means to be English, how we can take pride in our nation without it descending into bitter and restrictive nationalism.

Bolty, do you spend your leisure time pretending you're John of Gaunt?

I feel more British than English,I feel offended when someone calls me British and I let them know,Bolton Lancashire England that's it

?????

The Scottish Parliament, with a mixture of constituency members and party list members, was designed to avoid the prospect of any party having an overall majority.

But the complete collapse of the Conservative vote in Scotland enabled the SNP to achieve an overall majority last time. For the first and hopefully last time.

The Scottish Parliament, with a mixture of constituency members and party list members, was designed to avoid the prospect of any party having an overall majority.

But the complete collapse of the Conservative vote in Scotland enabled the SNP to achieve an overall majority last time. For the first and hopefully last time.

It's not that which I am ???????ing. I am just doubting the idea that it was designed specifically to keep the SNP from an overall majority. Especially when as you say it was meant to keep any party away from an overall majority. It does seem a silly electoral system though which I suppose explains why it is also favoured by Bolivia and Lesotho. It is also interesting that the SNP want full PR in an independent Scotland 'as it is now', which is not only a lie but would reduce the chances of an overall majority.

Edited by Maggie Tate

It's not that which I am ???????ing. I am just doubting the idea that it was designed specifically to keep the SNP from an overall majority. Especially when as you say it was meant to keep any party away from an overall majority. It does seem a silly electoral system though which I suppose explains why it is also favoured by Bolivia and Lesotho. It is also interesting that the SNP want full PR in an independent Scotland 'as it is now', which is not only a lie but would reduce the chances of an overall majority.

It was another Blair cockup.

It was designed to keep any party from an overall majority because they didn't want the SNP to get onfettered power. The first

two elections resulted in Lab-Lib coatitions. In the third SNP did not get a majority but had 1 more seat than Labour, and formed a minority government. Last time SNP won outright.

SNP know that with a high losing vote in the referendum they gain more devolved powers, but with a vote for independence they are up shit creek and would happily let someone else (Labour?) rule.

Well that is yet another matter which will need to be cleared up in the decade or so resulting from a yes vote. Which parties, less the SNP and some lunatics like the Greens, will operate in a sovereign Scotland? The three main parties could theoretically halt operations up there entirely if you consider that all three are unionist parties. This is another area which reflects the apparent reality that no-one in Scotland, least of all the SNP, have a bloody clue what the intricate details of the transition to independence would entail. Anything they like about the UK they want to keep, anything else they can't offer clarity on. There is no argument for independence strong enough to make the mither worth it.

But anyhow, here's an interesting article which seeks to explain that if Scotland votes yes it will have defied extremely strong polling trends among recent referenda on all sorts of topics: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11040226/Independence-referendum-Heres-why-Scotland-will-vote-No-probably.html

• Site Supporter

Thanks Malcolm, I'm full of a cold, just finished work so you've saved me a job there.

It was a Blair cock up, and yes whilst it wasn't specifically said that it was aimed at the SNP, it was rather obvious it was.

That is because Tony Blair is the discharge of a massive wart ridden septic hairy flappy cunt of cunt.

Sorry guys, but some of the arguments here for no are as weak as those put forward in the past against independence of various African, Asian, antipodes and Canadian independence.

To imply that there is something amiss with the SNP's democratic election is mind boggling. Was it the wrong sort of majority.