Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Freedman "Dorian Dervite is a ball playing centre half"

"shit" ball playing centre half, think DF has worked his magic and told him to drop short, collect the ball, then leather it diagonally 50yards like Millsy!

Charlton fans rated him highly whats one wrong....

When you look up and theres nobody within 10 yards who wants the ball it leaves no choice. I think its a bit short sighted to blame the defenders for any long punts as there isn't much of an option for them sadly.

So DF doesn't trust any of our midfielders to pick the ball up from defence other than Davies?

Edited by Mounts Kipper

So DF doesn't trust any of our midfielders to pick the ball up from defence other than Davies?

Well nobody seems to want the ball so whether he trusts them or not they aren't doing it. When one of our lot has the ball the rest are stood watching. A lot of our players seem to be happy stood near one of the opposition "marked" so they don't get the ball.

A good example is a basic one. Last night a few occasions our defenders passed the ball back to the keeper and instead of moving wide so Lonergan could pass the ball back to them or at least slow the attacker down who is moving to close him down they just turned straight around head down leaving him no option but to hoof it. Cue the crowd giving Lonergan abuse for just hoofing it.

These are issues that a manager should be sorting out imo.

Edited by tylswhite

• Site Supporter

Lornegan persisted in either giving short to Dervite to attempt a Socrates style defense splitter, or twatted it down the left for Feeney to chase / trap, which in fairness to Feeney he did on a few occasions.

What annoys me more is that he was talking up the way he wanted us to play through the middle against teams!!!!!

Hence my initial comments about Dervite, No matter what personnel are out there they should all be preaching the same mantra shouldn't they?

Something is definitely not reet

I think we signed him based partly on his ball retention stats during his last year at Charlton. In an ideal world I reckon Dougie wants a side that play out from the back, but until he gets the right personnel in, we're reverting to 4-4-2 and knocking it long.

I'm not going to make any judgements about the long term chances for a new or emerging player while the rest of the side are playing so badly. Heard Threkheld had a nightmare first half but did much better in the second. At least that suggests he's got a bit of character.

I might be wrong but i'm not sure Douglas said he was a ball playing centre half.

I seem to remember it being Marc Iles that labelled him that and it has since stuck.

Can anyone find a direct quote from Douglas saying it?

• Moderators

I might be wrong but i'm not sure Douglas said he was a ball playing centre half.

I seem to remember it being Marc Iles that labelled him that and it has since stuck.

Can anyone find a direct quote from Douglas saying it?

well dervite thinks hes a footballer

“I like to play short from the back with a lot of short passes, so hopefully I can bring a bit of technicality to our game so we can win as many games as possible."

• Site Supporter

well dervite thinks hes a footballer

“I like to play short from the back with a lot of short passes, so hopefully I can bring a bit of technicality to our game so we can win as many games as possible."

New id read it somewhere