Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Forgien Language

scallywell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on with Spanish, soon be the primary spoken language in the US.

Definitely the one to learn if you live where I live. 25-30% I reckon.

Learned French and Russian in school, same as Swanny. Went to night school to learn Spanish and Japanese (didn't complete the course, but can speak a little).

• Members

Italian the simplest. 

Learning Spanish at the minute. Not very difficult, especially if you just want conversational. Begin everything with "Quisiera" (I would like to...................)

"Quisiera pagar con tarjeta de credito". "I would like to pay by credit card". She'll tell you to piss off and demand cash.

I did German at School, but can only remember bits.

I would probably learn Spanish if I had the time.

Can't expect to remember 40 years ago to be fair

I'm actually exactly the same on both counts. I bought a Spanish book and audio thing a few years ago, but when I'm back from the office I just want to relax these days

• Members

Which language is the easiest to learn?

I would have thought German for us English speaking lot however Spanish seems far simpler.

According to a few cunning linguists I have know, it is Italian due to the smallest amount of verb conjugations and irregularities etc.

In rough terms, half the world speaks Spanish and the other half English (please overlook China) so it makes sense to me that Spanish should be the one. Esperanto anyone?

• Moderators

According to a few cunning linguists I have know, it is Italian due to the smallest amount of verb conjugations and irregularities etc.

In rough terms, half the world speaks Spanish and the other half English (please overlook China) so it makes sense to me that Spanish should be the one. Esperanto anyone?

Arabic won't be far behind mind

for me, wish I knew more French, but that's because I've spent most time in France than other country in last 10 years, and hate speaking shit broken English with a daft accent whilst wheeling out GCSE shit

My Dad speaks decent Spanish. He was browsing in a shop on his holidays once and he overheard two shopkeepers talking about him.

'Don't worry' he said confidently in Spanish after paying for his stuff 'The foreigner might look like a shoplifter, but he isn't one'.

He once also gave a speech in front of some dignataries from Paderborn on an exchange trip and accidentally used words which sounded perfectly innocent to English ears, but when translated into local slang went something along the lines of 'we would like to thank the Mayor for wanking us off all week'.

Arabic won't be far behind mind

for me, wish I knew more French, but that's because I've spent most time in France than other country in last 10 years, and hate speaking shit broken English with a daft accent whilst wheeling out GCSE shit

On my hols there at the minute in basque country. Speaking exactly as you describe. Would love to be able to speak a bit more.

What has struck me is that down here they are much more friendly and accommodating about it, we exchange pigeon French and English, laugh about it, and they seem appreciative of just saying bonjour, Merci, using French numbers etc.. In northern France before I swear they've deliberately pretended they cannot even get the gist of what I'm saying. Maybe they speak English more here, maybe it's cos I'm older now with small kids in tow rather than a young scrote buying bottles of vodka and takeaway.

Or maybe they are friendly because I'm flashing 50 euro notes about, buying all the tat the kids want and paying mental prices for ice creams and drinks at the beach etc ... it's just monopoly money when you go abroad isn't it?!

Give it a few days back and I'll quickly get back to not thinking it worth the effort to learn.

Wouldn't mind I spent five fucking years learning it and still walked up to someone the other day and said 'Merci' instead of bonjour. You're supposed to soak things up like a sponge as a kid, I can only assume you drain knowledge like a sieve when you start drinking and whatnot as an adult