Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

We Only Need 9 Men, We Only Need 9 Men....

jeep

I don't remember this

In January 1998 a lawsuit was issued against Gayle by former Bolton Wanderers defender Nicky Spooner. Spooner was playing for Bolton in a game against Burnley at Turf Moor in October 1994 when Gayle clattered into the player severely breaking his right leg and leaving him out of the professional game for three seasons.[3]

The tackle all but ended the future career of Spooner and he had to have a number of operations on the injury as well as a bone graft.

At the time of the writs being issued Spooner had the following to say to the Bolton Evening News.

"I've missed three fantastic years with Bolton, including promotion to the Premiership twice. I'm playing again now but it's just like starting from scratch. That tackle wrecked my career."

A six-figure compensation sum was settled out of court between the two players in April 2000.

I don't remember this

In January 1998 a lawsuit was issued against Gayle by former Bolton Wanderers defender Nicky Spooner. Spooner was playing for Bolton in a game against Burnley at Turf Moor in October 1994 when Gayle clattered into the player severely breaking his right leg and leaving him out of the professional game for three seasons.[3]

The tackle all but ended the future career of Spooner and he had to have a number of operations on the injury as well as a bone graft.

At the time of the writs being issued Spooner had the following to say to the Bolton Evening News.

"I've missed three fantastic years with Bolton, including promotion to the Premiership twice. I'm playing again now but it's just like starting from scratch. That tackle wrecked my career."

A six-figure compensation sum was settled out of court between the two players in April 2000.

Pleased to hear Spooner got some financial recompense the challenge was truly horrendous.

Great days! Do prefer the 1-0 win mcginlay midweek that was moody as fuck after

That was ace.

There's some great footage off our fans after we score on roadrunner somewhere.

Talking of which is there any footage of our goal in the 9 men game??

Wasn't there an infamous 9-man 2-2 draw at home to Leicester as well, with that well loved referee in charge ?

Missed both games. Sh*t fan.

Another "We only need 9 men"  game;  Boxing day ay home to Leicester. 

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Leicester game.

was my first away game too- jumped on the train on m'todd, folks oblivious their 14 year old had gone... i remember the half-bricks wedged into the top of the terrace where the dingles tried to launch them over the netting on to us.  i ensured i was light on my toes walking back to the station

was my first away game too- jumped on the train on m'todd, folks oblivious their 14 year old had gone... i remember the half-bricks wedged into the top of the terrace where the dingles tried to launch them over the netting on to us.  i ensured i was light on my toes walking back to the station

Have you remained light on your feet ever since?

Brilliant that 2-2 at Burnley. Always remember after walking up past the fire station. I had "borrowed" my Mums car and we passed 1 car that had all its windows put through. I was very relieved when I found mine in tact !!

From memory though, we bossed the first half and should have had the game sewn up.

Wasn't there an infamous 9-man 2-2 draw at home to Leicester as well, with that well loved referee in charge ?

Missed both games. Sh*t fan.

You must be the only Bolton fan to miss that Leicester game as that was our record attendance at the Reebok over 28,000 on where have the other 15k gone, used to go with loads of mates then only 1 or 2 still go, sad when you think about it.

All of the above trips to Turf Moor mentioned above were magic. Wasn't at the 1987 cup tie but was at the 0-1 win in 93 and the Bolton fans that night were absolutely fantastic. We outplayed Burnley but couldn't score until fairly late on. Burnley were well out of their depth a couple of years later in the second tier but the nine men scenario had allowed them to get on top in the game. It was like the Alamo in our penalty area in the last 10 mins of that game. One of our nine men was Fabian de Freitas, loping around like it was a parks match.

Shouldn't forget the 0-2 win there in 2000,just before Xmas. Brilliant day - Colin Hendry in one of his earlier games for us pissing off the Dingles. Ricketts with another of his sub appearances leading to goals

Shouldn't forget the 0-2 win there in 2000,just before Xmas. Brilliant day - Colin Hendry in one of his earlier games for us pissing off the Dingles. Ricketts with another of his sub appearances leading to goals

Tasty in the Big window before the game.

You must be the only Bolton fan to miss that Leicester game as that was our record attendance at the Reebok over 28,000 on where have the other 15k gone, used to go with loads of mates then only 1 or 2 still go, sad when you think about it.

The record attendance wasn't the 2-2 game, i think it was the season before.