Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hogarths Gin Emporium

victor meldrew

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume it's 'Hogarth's' after William Hogarth...

(all the BBC Four is finally sinking in, thanks to Andrew Graham Dixon, whom I used to think was a grade A twat).

A section of Gin Lane by the artist, the babbeh has fell from the mam's arms, but she's had a ha'penny of mothers' ruin and dunt give a fack...

gin-lane_2438397b.jpg

The Varsity was successful, for a pub tucked away out of the centre.

Went in the Capitol once, Hawaiian bar, shit DJ, 4 people in...

Good luck, they'll need it.

maybe tucked away is a good thing. Have you seen the state of deansgate? Unless it's changed dramatically it was grim as fuck last time I went & that's got to be 12 months ago. 3 crowns, cider house, BL1 were alright, further up though, fuck me!

People with expendable cash generally don't want to sit supping with kids and (down-at-heel) pisscans - so they start to give town a swerve...

The pubs look after their regular custom (kids and pisscans) and so the downward spiral continues...

They can stick all these gimmicks up their arse tbh, what the fuck does gin have to do with Bolton anyway?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

People with expendable cash generally don't want to sit supping with kids and (down-at-heel) pisscans - so they start to give town a swerve...

The pubs look after their regular custom (kids and pisscans) and so the downward spiral continues...

They can stick all these gimmicks up their arse tbh, what the fuck does gin have to do with Bolton anyway?

See the gin lane image and swop the victorian piss cans for heroin addicts and roma benefits peasants and you have the modern view of Bolton town centre life

Couple of months since I ventured out, if you are naming BL1 as one of the better bars then we are fucked. Stinks of piss, full of peasants.

last time I don't recall it being too bad (compared to some of the dives) but I'd imagine if they've done fuck all to it in 12 months it could now be pretty grim

If they want a bar to do well, kit it out nice and easily cleanable - bare wood and brick and parquet floor, keep the bogs nice and clean and replace anything broke as soon as it gets broke - minimal piss smell a bonus, keep prices reasonable and tell smelly fuckers to sling their hook...

Let staff wear their own clothes and if they're easy on the eye, then so be it...

Don't serve shite kids' drinks like alcopops or sambucca or whatever they sup these days...Hopefully they won't darken the door either.

Get either a jukebox with good stuff on, or no music or tellies - unless it's World Cup or Euros.

Edited by Youri McAnespie