Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hogarths Gin Emporium

victor meldrew

If they want a bar to do well, kit it out nice and easily cleanable - bare wood and brick and parquet floor, keep the bogs nice and clean and replace anything broke as soon as it gets broke - minimal piss smell a bonus, keep prices reasonable and tell smelly fuckers to sling their hook...

Let staff wear their own clothes and if they're easy on the eye, then so be it...

Don't serve shite kids' drinks like alcopops or sambucca or whatever they sup these days...Hopefully they won't darken the door either.

Get either a jukebox with good stuff on, or no music or tellies - unless it's World Cup or Euros.

Aka open the bank top brewery pubs in Horwich or on Belmont Road.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If they want a bar to do well, kit it out nice and easily cleanable - bare wood and brick and parquet floor, keep the bogs nice and clean and replace anything broke as soon as it gets broke - minimal piss smell a bonus, keep prices reasonable and tell smelly fuckers to sling their hook...

Let staff wear their own clothes and if they're easy on the eye, then so be it...

Don't serve shite kids' drinks like alcopops or sambucca or whatever they sup these days...Hopefully they won't darken the door either.

Get either a jukebox with good stuff on, or no music or tellies - unless it's World Cup or Euros.

corbieres in manc has the jukebox and nowt much else

i loves it

You will probably like Cask just offx deansgate and Gaslamp on Bridge Street nr Spinninfields

And knott bar near deansgate station. No jukey but play decent tunes, no twats no teles. Only wish I found it years ago instead of my last couple of years in the city centre.

Decent Sunday roast too!

My father in law is the area manager for the company that own this. Never realised it was where it was until I had a look last night.

Apparently they are brewing their own real ales in the basement or something like that as well as the gin thing.

Theres some do on there tonight for the opening, shame its a Wednesday night :thumbsup:

Edited by tylswhite

I've not been out in bolton for about 3 years

What's it like these days?

Same here and that's the problem town doesn't entice me these days, a few bars for over 25s with decent quality ale decent music and reasonably priced and I might give it a whirl again, used to go nearly every weekend 4-5 years back. Edited by Mounts Kipper

I was pondering this the other day. Look around the internet at what people sup now and it's all real ale, craft beer, mad breweries and IPA and crazy stuff made in peoples' sheds and all that stuff, there's been a beer revolution in Britain it seems and still pubs which can't see past Carlsberg and Tetley are going bust. Surely it's criminal that the pub trade hasn't twigged? There are six pubs in my home town - one of them is the Conny club so doesn't count. Every one of them is doing well (especially when I'm home with fuck all to do past 11am) and I swear more people sup real ale than all the other piss put together. Even when I go back to Leigh the busier pubs seem to be the ones that offer more of that sort of thing. Anyone who knows Leigh tell me - the way the pub trade is nowadays what right has the fuckin White Lion got to be still operating? And doing OK from what I've seen in recent months. Guest beers, regular swaps, five or six taps.

So, the pub trade deserves the kicking it's had for taking its custom granted and failing to see the shift in the market towards funkier beer. Discuss.

Manchester is shit for drinking. Not enough good bars in close proximity, too far to wander round for a decent pub crawl. Leeds is far better for boozing Imo.

You need to get in the Northern Quarter, spoilt for choice for good bars.