Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

Pep's taken City to Liverpool 3 times and got beat 3 times, he's not sussed how to defend at Anfield yet.Lets not pretend he's an all time great.

If Real Madrid happen to get drawn at Anfield in the semi there's zero chance of them being 3-0 down at half time, they are better managed than that

Pep's taken City to Liverpool 3 times and got beat 3 times, he's not sussed how to defend at Anfield yet.Lets not pretend he's an all time great.

If Real Madrid happen to get drawn at Anfield in the semi there's zero chance of them being 3-0 down at half time, they are better managed than that

Didn’t Real Madrid get beat 5-0 the last time they went to Anfield?

Edit - Just checked and it was 2009 when Liverpool beat Real Madrid 4-0 in the champions league, round of last 16, Jay Spearing came on in the second half

It was 5-0 on aggregate

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators

And the other thing about him is the teams he's managed were winning trophies and getting to finals before he arrived and continue to do so after

Granted he may win the PL with record points but to prove he's a genius he'd need to over achieve at somewhere like Porto or Inter Milan

The problem is with the Porto, inter argument (both impressive) is why would he go to Porto or Inter? He doesn’t need too.

He doesn’t get the credit he deserves and I’m unsure why. His team play great stuff and win a lot of games. I’m not sure what’s not to like unless you are a rival

• Moderators

The problem is with the Porto, inter argument (both impressive) is why would he go to Porto or Inter? He doesn’t need too.

He doesn’t get the credit he deserves and I’m unsure why. His team play great stuff and win a lot of games. I’m not sure what’s not to like unless you are a rival

don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him, and he does get the credit via the jobs he gets and he is good, as demonstrated by city's form this season and 2 CLs at Barca

but, to call him a genius or claim he's one of the best ever, he needs to do something above and beyond what other managers in his position could do

City, Barca & Munich all win things regardless, before he arrived and after he leaves

he's going to have to win the quadruple with City, if not at least the CL a couple of times to be considered amongst the best ever IMO

but you can't say he's at least not on the right track if he breaks Mourinho's points record of 95 this season

Porto and Inter don't win things regardless, that's why Mourinho is a class above him, as is someone like Ferguson for what he did at Utd - they took their teams to the next level - Pep plays good football at a level they're already at

likewise though, just because he loses 2 in a week doesn't mean he's been found out

They’ve beat Liverpool once, Chelsea twice, Spurs once, United once, arsenal twice, scored an absolute shit load of amazing goals, played some of the best football this league has seen. I’d say they’ve been pretty good to be fair.

Liverpool couldn't defend until they bought Van Dijk, Chelsea are dreadful, Spurs are up and down, United haven't been good, Arsenal have been woeful and the Prem this season has been the worst for a long time imo

Yeah, they've played lovely tippy-tappy football but as the season has progressed, both domestically and in the Champions League he's been found out

Same happened last year

The really big pressure games come along and City fail. Wtf was that team selection on Saturday? Granted United were lucky to be only 0-2 at half time but Mourinho had him over second half. Similarly Klopp had him first half in the CL game

Great football to watch but can he really do it if he doesn't already inherit a world-beating team? For me the answer is no. He recruits badly with the odd exception such as De Bruyne and Sane

He gets a lot of credit. As he's clearly right up there. I don't think he's disliked. 

Worth noting though that many City fans wanted him out last season. Such is the lack of patience of football fans nowadays. City were in fairness shocking last season but it takes time to implement things even if you're spending hundreds of millions of pounds. He's a stubborn manager who will persist with his way, even if it isn't working so you can see why some City fans wanted him out last season watching the same problems week in week out. Generally his summer signings fixed those issues on the whole this season. 

He gets a lot of credit. As he's clearly right up there. I don't think he's disliked.

Worth noting though that many City fans wanted him out last season. Such is the lack of patience of football fans nowadays. City were in fairness shocking last season but it takes time to implement things even if you're spending hundreds of millions of pounds. He's a stubborn manager who will persist with his way, even if it isn't working so you can see why some City fans wanted him out last season watching the same problems week in week out. Generally his summer signings fixed those issues on the whole this season.

Certain people deffo want him to fail in the media. It all comes out each time they lose. Is he all that blah blah blah. Last year the media was suggesting doing it in Spain and Germany is one thing but England is a different gravy. Embarrassing stuff

Certain people deffo want him to fail in the media. It all comes out each time they lose. Is he all that blah blah blah. Last year the media was suggesting doing it in Spain and Germany is one thing but England is a different gravy. Embarrassing stuff

I think that's basically the same for any successful manager. Some media types to be controversial try and make out he's "not all that" just for clicks or reaction.

All managers have their friends in the media who do the gloss stuff. But all also have those who are quick to jump on them. 

Just the way it goes. 

Liverpool fan in hone end celebrates goal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhZ2Bd0hEWI/

Quite a bit of that according to 5 live on the way home

Those in support of the Liverpool fans celebrating in the home end pointed out that it was a ‘neutral area’ of the ground so they weren’t fair game

I guess it’s fair to say that the Man City coach was in a neutral area when Liverpool fans threw bottles at it

Can’t have it both ways

• Moderators

Quite a bit of that according to 5 live on the way home

Those in support of the Liverpool fans celebrating in the home end pointed out that it was a ‘neutral area’ of the ground so they weren’t fair game

I guess it’s fair to say that the Man City coach was in a neutral area when Liverpool fans threw bottles at it

Can’t have it both ways

As if there is a neutral end at city in a CL quarter final

Bloke looks to be standing his ground but he gets everything he deserves for celebrating outside of the away end