Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Can only sell what they’re given 

top numbers twice in a season 

Fair enough, didn't realise they'd sold out. Seems massively unfair to play all the games in London anyway so fair play to anyone travelling when you know there's a 50% chance of desolation for the long journey home. Unlike for a cup final when the pain of defeat doesn't come close to playoff failure.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair enough, didn't realise they'd sold out. Seems massively unfair to play all the games in London anyway so fair play to anyone travelling when you know there's a 50% chance of desolation for the long journey home. Unlike for a cup final when the pain of defeat doesn't come close to playoff failure.

Aye, but a semi final defeat does 😢

• Site Supporter

I’ve got a few Sunderland mates so delighted at having an away day up there. It’s not bad for pubs, Travelodge in the city centre and ground walking distance from the centre.

A few pubs used to have pre match strippers on too - what’s not to like

10 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Sunderland I have always found is quite a poor away day

at least they will bring more to us than charlton

For us train users that part of the country has seen big increases in fares over the years, boro last season was a packet

i suspect this would be a mini bus job 

Safc are an honest bunch of fans.

Live in the shadow of the bar codes and really revel in it when they get the upper hand but TBH they are a well supported club that are a bit shit., Just like Aston villa, Nottingham forest and Newcastle United.

5 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Good crack wasn’t it mate 

didn’t Southend have one in that hotel? 

Yes

But I should have walked away at 3am & well in the black, talking to Rick Astleys backing band fooked things up & well in the red after, still didn't put a downer on a great stop over!

Early morning Phone call sing alongs are the future!

7 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Last Sunderland trip I went to, stayed in Newcastle and got the metro to the SoL. 

Is the correct answer!

Radcliffe, Mr Grey et al,  early shout for the JBO if it lands on the Saturday, stopover for the first time in years

7 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Safc are an honest bunch of fans.

Live in the shadow of the bar codes and really revel in it when they get the upper hand but TBH they are a well supported club that are a bit shit., Just like Aston villa, Nottingham forest and Newcastle United.

In their heyday  in the late 70s and 80s under Brian Clough, Nottm Forest won half a dozen trophies in a few years on 25,000 crowds, they definitely don't have the support of those 3 clubs.

In 75/76 for example Sunderland v Bolton attracted a 50,000 gate in the 2nd Div, Forest could only dream of that support.

The North East's record at Wembley is laughably shit.Newcastle and Sunderland both lost at least 6 in a row, Middlesbrough never won there, drawn one and lost 4.

Must be hard waking up a Sunderland fan today.  Far and away the biggest team in the lower divisions, real hard core support and around January it looked like they were going to win automatic promotion at a canter.  The goals and their games in hand seemed to dry up.

They've lost their last 8 consecutive Wembley appearances (& you thought our record was bad!)

I can see them winning the division by some distance next season

Edited by Duck Egg
Repetition

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

They've lost their last 8 consecutive Wembley appearances (& you thought our record was bad!)

With a record like that you'd think twice:

Sunderland have looked terrible the handful of times I have seen them where Charlton have looked decent. I think they could be around for a while. Big points total but only won just over half their games last season. Other teams will be stronger