Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'd pick Harry Winks in front of Henderson all day long & Maddison or Loftus Cheek ahead of Barkley. 

Don't mind Barkley, but also like loftus cheek. More presence and dynamism than rice.

Not sure it matters in the scheme of things, it gives Southgate an opportunity to give different players a go, rest others, and work out what's best, all while getting results.

Not too much to grumble about really.

14 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'd pick Harry Winks in front of Henderson all day long & Maddison or Loftus Cheek ahead of Barkley. 

Winks and Maddison are both attack-minded players who generally look for the forward pass immediately. Personally I wouldn't play them together (I'd prefer Winks) depending on who we're playing. I like Henderson though because of his phenomenl workrate and doing the water carrying as well as his defensive qualities - he's great at breaking up attacks and with our back four that is by no means a bad thing. As long as Kane and Sterling are scoring it's OK but we do need a bit more balance IMO especially as it will be a different story against stronger teams.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Winks and Maddison are both attack-minded players who generally look for the forward pass immediately. Personally I wouldn't play them together (I'd prefer Winks) depending on who we're playing. I like Henderson though because of his phenomenl workrate and doing the water carrying as well as his defensive qualities - he's great at breaking up attacks and with our back four that is by no means a bad thing. As long as Kane and Sterling are scoring it's OK but we do need a bit more balance IMO especially as it will be a different story against stronger teams.

Winks can sit in & doesn't shirk a tackle. He's also a better passer than Henderson or Rice. 

41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The video of sterling giving his boots to that kid...

I’d have told the cheeky little fucker to piss right off. 

Was it following this trend of kid holding up piece of cardboard saying 'dear player you're my favourite. Can I have your shirt?' 

You know as soon as their dad gets hold of it it's on Ebay 

6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’m probably alone in this, but i think Maguire is overated - slow and prone to mega gaffs.

Talking about England at work today and saying how exciting we are going forward... Then ended up picking about 5 or 6 out of the starting lineup that we don't rate! Quite an imbalance between defence and attack in that team right now.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, green genie said:

Should stop playing premier league politics and get Foden in senior squad. Madison, Winks and Rice have hardly any more experience and a fraction of the talent.

Can't argue with that, just wish he could get more game time at City. I think the lad might have a decision to make at the end of this season. 

46 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Talking about England at work today and saying how exciting we are going forward... Then ended up picking about 5 or 6 out of the starting lineup that we don't rate! Quite an imbalance between defence and attack in that team right now.

Not a big England fan, not enjoyed a match since Euro 96 but at the minute I'd say the three that played up top last night are probably the best 3 in international football bar none. Then it falls down with poor central midfielders and defenders.

2 minutes ago, Andy Gee said:

Not a big England fan, not enjoyed a match since Euro 96 but at the minute I'd say the three that played up top last night are probably the best 3 in international football bar none. Then it falls down with poor central midfielders and defenders.

Not a single England match since 96?! I can't believe that! Agree about the forwards though especially Sancho and Sterling, if they were in any other international team they'd be raved about constantly.

21 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Not a single England match since 96?! I can't believe that! Agree about the forwards though especially Sancho and Sterling, if they were in any other international team they'd be raved about constantly.

Can't remember 1 I have sat all the way through since then. The Argentina match in 98 I watched the 1st half and went to get a Chinese just after half time. 2002 was good but that was mainly down to the pub opening early and drinking cocktails all day. Last year I played golf instead of watching the England matches. 

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Was it following this trend of kid holding up piece of cardboard saying 'dear player you're my favourite. Can I have your shirt?' 

You know as soon as their dad gets hold of it it's on Ebay 

It was beyond that. Basically shouting in his face begging for his boots saying please please. 

Fuck right off. 

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Otamendi must be helping a betting syndicate? WTF was that?

On a more sobering note, was watching Franck Ribery star for Fiorentina last night against Juventus then suddenly thought 'fuck me, it wasn't that long ago we were reportedly in for him!'.

Ribery?

He's coming in January with Miguel Veloso.