Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

2 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

329 Sunderland fans travelled

The magic of the FA Cup

With PP tactics though I am surprised as many as that made the journey

Well we cant rearrange the games against either Burton or Donny now a week on Saturday since they are both through; Lincoln is still possible but due to there only being 11 days from their game tomorrow to the 2nd round I doubt that will be played then

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

The magic of the FA Cup

With PP tactics though I am surprised as many as that made the journey

Well we cant rearrange the games against either Burton or Donny now a week on Saturday since they are both through; Lincoln is still possible but due to there only being 11 days from their game tomorrow to the 2nd round I doubt that will be played then

11 days mightve been enough to get lincoln on at our place

But pc plod wont be in a rush to have 1200 bolton in lincoln on a saturday, let alone with 11 days to prepare

Id like us to try to get the youth cup game on if it was possible

20 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Ukraine.

Pot 2: France, Poland, Switzerland, Croatia, ….

More interested in England and Germany now confirmed as being at home for two of the games I've got tickets for. 

Overall though really, the more convoluted and contrived these qualifying groups and draws get the less exciting it is. Getting to Champions League levels of trying to ensure the biggest teams get the furthest.

Agreed. I see teams in 3rd and 4th place losing games this weekend, then they say "but they have the play offs to fall back on".  I havent a clue what qualifies you for the play offs now, I might have taken the trouble to find out if England werent guaranteed qualification but I dont care enough to check out the others.  So I take less interest in the qualifying games than before,  because I dont know if they mean anything.  Football is full of games that dont matter these days (Europa League, Champions League, internationals).

21 minutes ago, snowball said:

As the thread is todays games...

Sorry i exaggerated.  BBC showing no efforts on goal for nearly 110 mins for Sunlun.  When he arrived they were in 3 cups. Good going. 

Has to be close to an all record surely.  Which manager has got his club out of 3 cups within 22 days?  Or within 1 month of taking over a club?  And against 3 teams no higher than them in the table.

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed. I see teams in 3rd and 4th place losing games this weekend, then they say "but they have the play offs to fall back on".  I havent a clue what qualifies you for the play offs now, I might have taken the trouble to find out if England werent guaranteed qualification but I dont care enough to check out the others.  So I take less interest in the qualifying games than before,  because I dont know if they mean anything.  Football is full of games that dont matter these days (Europa League, Champions League, internationals).

I'd try and explain but it makes no sense. Northern Ireland qualified for the play offs  because of the Nations League 2 years ago. They lost every match in it but because they were in league B and all the teams in league A qualified automatically then the playoff places moved to the teams in group B that a) didn't qualify outright and b) hadn't qualified for the play offs by winning there nation league group. 

Scotland got in the play offs by winning there Nations league group, they beat Albania twice and Israel  to get in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Andy Gee said:

I'd try and explain but it makes no sense. Northern Ireland qualified for the play offs  because of the Nations League 2 years ago. They lost every match in it but because they were in league B and all the teams in league A qualified automatically then the playoff places moved to the teams in group B that a) didn't qualify outright and b) hadn't qualified for the play offs by winning there nation league group. 

Scotland got in the play offs by winning there Nations league group, they beat Albania twice and Israel  to get in the playoffs. 

The Nations League is a great idea, but to link it in with Euro qualifying is utter bollocks. As is the decision to raise it to 24 teams. Why couldn't UEFA just leave things as they were?!