Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

I see it's £40m. Another parachute payment that. 

For all the talk of City and their defence, they only conceded a couple more than Liverpool last season. 

but 12 more than the year before, playing their best DM in defence, so they were opened up a lot more, and lost twice as many games

sort out their defence, and they should challenge again next season

• Members
21 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

I see it's £40m. Another parachute payment that. 

For all the talk of City and their defence, they only conceded a couple more than Liverpool last season. 

It’s the amount of games lost. 9 losses and only 3 draws is just not good enough in any year 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It’s the amount of games lost. 9 losses and only 3 draws is just not good enough in any year 

May just be my memory playing tricks on me but weren't the bulk of those losses down to the inability to break down a team sat back and who scabbed a goal?

Season before Sterling was popping up with a goal in the 89th minute to win 1-0

Laporte playing alongside Ake would make that scabbing a goal much more difficult TBF

19 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Everton? They've become used to, and accepting of, being non-competitive

Nobody has accepted it.

We are just not very good at changing it.

The money we have spunked proves that.

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Nobody has accepted it.

We are just not very good at changing it.

The money we have spunked proves that.

Aye, it's not been for the want of trying.  The trouble for Everton and everyone else outside the big 5, is that they've become also rans.  Villa, Newcastle and West Ham have all suffered relegation.  Its inevitable that another previously thought of big club such as Everton or Arsenal, will drop soon too.

• Members
43 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

May just be my memory playing tricks on me but weren't the bulk of those losses down to the inability to break down a team sat back and who scabbed a goal?

Season before Sterling was popping up with a goal in the 89th minute to win 1-0

Laporte playing alongside Ake would make that scabbing a goal much more difficult TBF

Teams become a lot harder to break down when you’ve won the league. 
City play better against teams who play a higher line because the full backs could get behind them.

Teams who play 5 at the back usually play very deep and stick one up top, they relied on players becoming more and more tired and dropping off hence so many late goals, teams were fitter and more switched on.

You have to be mentally tougher and I felt teams felt beaten before they went on the pitch. 
Losing Laporte who in my opinion is the second best centre back in Europe was huge, take out one of the best CDM’s in Fernandinho in the hole and any team will struggle. 
City lost Kompany when he said he would stay one more year and their number one CB target signed a new deal leaving them in limbo.

Edited by Rudy

24 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye, it's not been for the want of trying.  The trouble for Everton and everyone else outside the big 5, is that they've become also rans.  Villa, Newcastle and West Ham have all suffered relegation.  Its inevitable that another previously thought of big club such as Everton or Arsenal, will drop soon too.

The desperation in trying has made us actually worse.

Net spend has not been that bad the last 2 season, but the 2/3 before that, the worst, spunked serious cash.

We won't go down, even at our worst we are bang average.....which is way above some of the shite in the prem.

Easier said than done, we only need 3 good players to challenge the top 8 better.

Edited by Pablo

If city got themselves a Lewandowski or Kane style striker who could enable them to go more direct against those teams they'd be unstoppable IMO.

Then again finding that player who would be willing to be 2nd fiddle to Aguero wont be easy and Jesus is a bloody good player too

• Members
53 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

If city got themselves a Lewandowski or Kane style striker who could enable them to go more direct against those teams they'd be unstoppable IMO.

Then again finding that player who would be willing to be 2nd fiddle to Aguero wont be easy and Jesus is a bloody good player too

I think if City Liverpool Or United signed and kept Kane fully fit they'd win the lot 

Edited by Rudy

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

Ake's a great signing IMO.  

I must be missing something.  Bournemouth looked as bad as anyone at the back this season (although half the Prem look terrible at the back currently).  And they conceded 65 goals.  I always thought he was overrated because he's Dutch and looks a bit like Gullit, but let's see how he does.  Many of City's goals conceded seem to be down to Guardiola's style of play (over playing in dangerous areas) rather than bad defensive play.

6 hours ago, deane koontz said:

No Newcastle Saudi takeover

there were something  the other month saying that they only had money because they were reselling pirated football . i read it on twitter or wherever .. but then it made the news, https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/26/newcastle-takeover-in-serious-doubt-as-wto-rules-pirate-tv-channel-is-saudi

and then the other day (yesterday?) the World Trade Organization or the US government brought the hammer down.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1316184/Newcastle-takeover-Saudi-Arabia-piracy-row-beIN-SPORTS-PIF-Qatar-WT

kinda funny

22 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

looks a bit like Gullit,

Racist

Anyway, you can be a good defender in a shit team that concedes goals due to having shit fellow defenders and a shit midfield offering you no protection.  Think Rob Holding.

Anyway, I think he'll do well and be a big improvement to what Man City currently have.  All about opinions innit.  We'll see.