Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What’s that based on?

Consistently getting out of Europa groups with a fraction of the money Premier League teams get. They’re a serious, proper worldwide brand. If there was a parallel universe where they played down here, they’d have to expand the place to 80,000+

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Consistently getting out of Europa groups with a fraction of the money Premier League teams get. They’re a serious, proper worldwide brand. If there was a parallel universe where they played down here, they’d have to expand the place to 80,000+

I hate the cunts but you’re spot on Matt. Huge club and operating on a fraction of the income yet perform credibly in Europe most years. More money doesn’t always translate to more success but you’d have to think it certainly wouldn’t harm them whatsoever. And they wouldn’t need to then let players like Dembele leave which in turn makes them much stronger year on year. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

I'd agree with that, I actually think the two Glasgow clubs would be equal Liverpool and United in terms of worldwide appeal if they were allowed in the Premier.

City are nowhere near any of em, just how it is.

• Members
Just now, Escobarp said:

Where would city be without the Arab money? Genuine question? Championship mid table?

Shinawatra sold it for £200m

That wasn’t spare change so someone would have bought it with significant investment

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They’re not a worldwide brand at all. What they averaging? 55k?

Theyre not outselling United. 

City are a rich mans toy. 

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

That wasn’t spare change so someone would have bought it with significant investment

They’re not a worldwide brand???? Really? We’ll leave it there. 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They sell out week in week out, in a league that hasn't been competitive in my lifetime, apart from Aberdeen winning it once when I was a nipper

2 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

They sell out week in week out, in a league that hasn't been competitive in my lifetime, apart from Aberdeen winning it once when I was a nipper

Against clubs who have average home attendances lower than our national league for half of the games and have away followings in the low hundreds 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

City are a rich mans toy. 

They’re not a worldwide brand???? Really? We’ll leave it there. 

I reckon if they were allowed into the Prem some mega bucks Irish/American conglomerate would buy them... They would really have the potential to be up there with the biggest... With what they have now probably top half championship. 

The last time Celtic qualified from their Champions League group was 2012. They couldn't even get past Cluj last season.
Celtic never gone past round of 32 since Europa League changed to groups.

So yes, even Bolton has done better than them in that competition in recent times.

1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I reckon if they were allowed into the Prem some mega bucks Irish/American conglomerate would buy them... They would really have the potential to be up there with the biggest... With what they have now probably top half championship. 

You do them a massive disservice. But we shall never know anyway. 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

So do Boca Juniors. They’re big in their respective league, doesn’t mean they’re a global heavyweight 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, CJG said:

The last time Celtic qualified from their Champions League group was 2012. They couldn't even get past Cluj last season.

So yes, even Bolton has done better than them in that competition in recent times.

That's not relevant

2 minutes ago, CJG said:

Actually reinforces the point massively about what Prem money can do for a club. So cheers 

2 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It's all opinions mate but I don't think I do. 

Their total income is less than the bottom Prem clubs get purely for their tv money.  Let that sink in. 

and folk expect them to outdo premier league clubs in Europe with that disparity? 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Their total income is less than the bottom Prem clubs get purely for their tv money.  Let that sink in. 

That's why I said as they stand now, should they get on a level playing field money wise then they would be a different prospect. They have been cruising to titles with the likes of Dedryck Boyata & a decent league one striker in Leigh Griffiths. 

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

That's why I said as they stand now, should they get on a level playing field money wise then they would be a different prospect. They have been cruising to titles with the likes of Dedryck Boyata & a decent league one striker in Leigh Griffiths. 

Griffiths although a wee cunt is a very good player. The boy eduard they have up front is a serious talent. Much better for me than dembele who we all saw last night put the Arabs championship manager team out the champs league. 

but eduard will move on to another club same as all their better players Do. Money talks. And when you consider their top earner will be on Top half championship wages they just can’t hold on to them. 

Edited by Escobarp

I'm not sure of the point here?

Celtic and rangers are massive clubs in a country that has 5 million people in it.

They aren't in the epl. 

Are you saying if they were they would be massive in the epl?

Why?

Have they got better academies?

Or are we just talking about support?

Given the same amount of money as every other premier league club they would just be another premier league club. But starting with shit players who couldn't make it in the epl.