Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Members
20 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I see Pep saying that Leicester showed no intention to play football. Sounding like fucking Freeman. 

That result did not shock me. Vardy as sharp as ever against one of the worst centre back pairings in the PL.

Hand on heart, if we were still in the PL and spunked 6 million quid on Nathan Ake I would be asking WTF is going on. Spunking money on the 'mainstay' of the worst PL defence from the previous season?

Man City spent 10 times that. WTF?

• Members
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

That result did not shock me. Vardy as sharp as ever against one of the worst centre back pairings in the PL.

Hand on heart, if we were still in the PL and spunked 6 million quid on Nathan Ake I would be asking WTF is going on. Spunking money on the 'mainstay' of the worst PL defence from the previous season?

Man City spent 10 times that. WTF?

That’s a wind up Shirley.

It was £40m on Ake. Bournemouth paid £20m for him and he had 3 years left on his contract, considering the market £40m is about right, keeping in mind Maguire went for 75m.

He’s an exceptional player and he’ll be a great signing. His pass completion is 93%, his tackle success is 67% to put that in comparison Van Dijk tackle success is about 70% and pass completion is around 70%, he’s won a form of player of the year award at every club he’s been at. 
Just because he was in a shit Bournemouth team doesn’t make him shit. 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It was £40m on Ake. Bournemouth paid £20m for him and he had 3 years left on his contract, considering the market £40m is about right, keeping in mind Maguire went for 75m.

He’s an exceptional player and he’ll be a great signing. His pass completion is 93%, his tackle success is 67% to put that in comparison Van Dijk tackle success is about 70% and pass completion is around 70%, he’s won a form of player of the year award at every club he’s been at. 

I think Chelsea had an option on him at 40m as part of the dal when they sold him to Bournemouth. Lampard supposedly didn't take it up because he wasn't any better than what they had already. 

Be interesting to see what Chelsea fans make of that decision if their defensive form continues and ake has a good season.

• Members
3 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I think Chelsea had an option on him at 40m as part of the dal when they sold him to Bournemouth. Lampard supposedly didn't take it up because he wasn't any better than what they had already. 

Be interesting to see what Chelsea fans make of that decision if their defensive form continues and ake has a good season.

Don’t think he’s a fan of ball playing centre halves hence Christensen and Silva 

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Don’t think he’s a fan of ball playing centre halves hence Christensen and Silva 

Playing a high line with silva seems like asking for trouble. I don't get their transfer priorities in this window, a fortune on reinforcing an already decent forward line, not so much attention on an unconvincing defence.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Amazing pass completion rate.... in fact I don’t believe it, unless he spent all last season playing 1-2s with the keeper. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
1 minute ago, ProfessorWoland said:

Playing a high line with silva seems like asking for trouble. I don't get their transfer priorities in this window, a fortune on reinforcing an already decent forward line, not so much attention on an unconvincing defence.

Being 36 and going from the dog and duck league, untested almost every week to the Prem as first choice is bizarre. 
If I saw them playing a high line I’d go and tell the forward give him 5 yards and wait for that ball down the channels and you’ll beat him. 

• Members
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Stats mean nowt, if you are passing 2 yard square or back to keeper, let’s see his stats for progressive forward passes, do they break the stats down in that manner?  Anyhow I’ll guess he’s nearer 70% for proper meaningful passes. 

😂

• Members
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

And by the way those stats are for 2 matches and one City lost 5-2. 😂🤣😂

So first you don’t believe it 

then it doesn’t count

then it does count but doesn’t mean anything because they lost 

You’re a moron 

7 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So first you don’t believe it 

then it doesn’t count

then it does count but doesn’t mean anything because they lost 

You’re a moron 

Im the the moron 😂 It’s you  quoting stats for 2 games and comparing his stats with van dyck 🤣as though that’s a good reason for spending 40 million, Leicester never pressed City so Aki had all day to pass the ball 2 feet to someone without pressure, those stats say he made 1 tackle, that’s because he got nowhere near enough to make a tackle, 1 tackle in 191 minutes and City were mullered 5-2, Well done Aki keep up the good work. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

It’s Dijk but hey ho.

Not once did I say he wasn’t at fault for their loss

I said about his pass completion that’s why city paid £40m for him

Not once did I refer to his performance against Leicester

You said you didn’t believe the stats

Then stats don’t mean anything

Then stats do mean something when you think you can back up your point by saying they loss.

His pass completion rate was 86% last season but they won’t count because they got relegated 🙄

The comparison was to Van Dijk to highlight that the best defender in the world has high stats but city went for a defender with higher passing stats because that’s their game. Not that he’s a better defender I was saying why city spent their money to acquire him

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The comparison was to Van Dijk to highlight that the best defender in the world has high stats but city went for a defender with higher passing stats because that’s their game. Not that he’s a better defender I was saying why city spent their money to acquire him

I'm not involved in professional football.

But .....

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

lob stats about all you like rudes, their defence is fucking shambolic, and they're mucking about with relegation fodder players

apart from laporte their defenders are very ordinary

liverpool canter again

• Members
2 hours ago, Rudy said:

No mate - truly believe it. As I have said previously, surprised they didn't get Khoulibaly but you've explained that one.

I said last season that the difference between the champions and your lot was Van Dijk - especially when Laporte was out. Still believe they are seriously weak a in the middle at the back. We shall see over the course of the season but the evidence against Leicester I would have thought pretty compelling.

Tables don't lie. Bournemouths stats from last season reinforce this. I may have had the number wrong (probably a report down here saying 60 million aussie dollars?) but whatever, I believe that will be a waste of money. Happy to be proved wrong. Can't understand paying such an amount for a central defender from the worst defence in the PL last season. 

Can't see them getting anywhere near Liverpool again this season. I hope they prove we wrong.

• Members
10 minutes ago, L/H White said:

lob stats about all you like rudes, their defence is fucking shambolic, and they're mucking about with relegation fodder players

apart from laporte their defenders are very ordinary

liverpool canter again

Have a +1 apart from the last sentence. Even that is correct though. Signed brilliantly. How handy did Diogo Jota look last night?

• Members
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I work for them so I believe in the work me and my team do so there is a degree of wanting them to do well but the wall pushers  love in on here is disgusting at times. Especially @L/H White supporting two Clubs, give me a break 

Don't mix me up with one of them matey. Used to admire them under Shankly etc. but the grief junkie stuff has put paid to that.

Simply looking at it from a cold, hard gambling point of view. I base my football betting around Porto and Benfica with the infrequent substitution of other clubs if I see poor value in Portugal or better value elsewhere.

I'd be much more inclined to include Liverpool at present than I would City. Just cold hard analysis.