Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The Man UtdĀ  womens team was only founded in 2018 but already hasĀ more followers on instagram than 7 of the Premier League men's teams including Leeds United

It doesn't mean they're any good.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

One in the media the other day (can't remember who) asking for exactly that.

Now, I know Crawley likes to look down his nose at folk, but he misses the point.

Folk aren't "bothered" about women's football coverage etc, they will either watch it or not- however its not a patch on the men's game, and that's despite clear improvements. For me, as I've said before, the goalkeeping is the biggest issue. Miles apart.

Historical evidence shows that at one time women's football was, for a short time, popular, with Preston's team being well renowned and watched by large crowds.

Whether it will get towards anything like that, who knows.

A bit like rugby union for me- won't watch club level, but come international competitions, then will take in a few games.

I have a picture of a Bolton Wanderers womenā€™s team from 1921. If I knew how, Iā€™d post it.

21 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I will say it again.

Womens football is shit, its over exposed and the amount of ex-women (so-called) footballers commentating on the mens game is embarrassing.

Forget the football get the pots washedĀ 

59 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Forget the football get the pots washedĀ 

when my owd dear was alive thats what she'd say, it wound her up and as far as she was concerned they knew nothing about football.Ā  Ā bit different now i suppose, but id rather have past experienced pro's commentating and sharing proper knowledge.

2 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

when my owd dear was alive thats what she'd say, it wound her up and as far as she was concerned they knew nothing about football.Ā  Ā bit different now i suppose, but id rather have past experienced pro's commentating and sharing proper knowledge.

I find ex-pros the most idiotic of the lot, 90% of them just spout mundane cliches. Rather have proper journalists.

Ā 

59 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I find ex-pros the most idiotic of the lot, 90% of them just spout mundane cliches. Rather have proper journalists.

Ā 

I think a lot ex pros have had years of media training, which basically teaches you how to say nothing. At least Neville and Caragher break the mould.Ā 
Any ex pro that uses the expression 'unless you have played the game' as a criticism of non players should be automatically banned.Ā 
I liked Eleanor Oldroyd as a commentator but hardly listen to games now.Ā 

1 minute ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

So regarding tonights matches, wins for Barrow, Bradford, Carlisle, Grimsby and Scunny and we'll all be happy bunnies?

No we won't have scored enough goals. šŸ˜šŸ˜‚šŸ˜Ž.Ā 
Ā 

It is a joke btw.Ā 

The Leeds United Women's Team's mobs stay clear of the prosecco and nail bars of Eccles an' all...

Why should the rules allow handballs an' all? You want to be a centre-half you may end up looking like Steve Bruce.

Don't like mixed football at any level.

If someone is technically better than you you shouldn't have to think twice before scything them down.

Playing against girls gives them that split-second of hesitation before you jump in with a two-footed lunge.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Ā 

Why should the rules allow handballs an' all?

If that's in response to my anecdote then they haven't been changed.Ā  The ref suddenly decided it was allowed. The issue was that my daughter's team didn't need the rule change. Wigan Athletic girls did.

That's what pissed me off.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

So regarding tonights matches, wins for Barrow, Bradford, Carlisle, Grimsby and Scunny and we'll all be happy bunnies?

Just Carlisle for me, not arsed about the rest

58 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think a lot ex pros have had years of media training, which basically teaches you how to say nothing. At least Neville and Caragher break the mould.Ā 
Any ex pro that uses the expression 'unless you have played the game' as a criticism of non players should be automatically banned.Ā 
I liked Eleanor Oldroyd as a commentator but hardly listen to games now.Ā 

Steve Claridge used to do that all the time. So someone like Guillem Balague or Henry Winter would make a decent point and he'd just blather all over make no sense whatsoever and said 'That is what I am sayin' 100 times during an answer.Ā 

Michael Owen is the king of the innane.

I don't have sky so I can't comment on either of them.

Ā 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ā 

BT champions League goals show is spot on, headed up by James Richardson and his continental counterpartsĀ