Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Yes but give them some respect. They were up against an assortment of letters!

The mighty Midtjylland. Never heard of them!

Bo hansen went there when he left us

I think they have strong links to brentford

• Site Supporter

What do you identify as fan base? United have millions who claim to support them. Does that equate to a fan base of millions?

Back in the day at Burnden you were either Rangers or Celtic based on Protestant or Catholic. Does that equate to size of fan base? 

As a Protestant I always looked for a Rangers win in an Old Firm game. Rangers v anyone else; not arsed. I never bought a Rangers shirt or any other Rangers merchandise or attended a game. But I did shout “Rangers” in turn. Did this add me to Rangers’ fan base?

• Members
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What do you identify as fan base? United have millions who claim to support them. Does that equate to a fan base of millions?

Back in the day at Burnden you were either Rangers or Celtic based on Protestant or Catholic. Does that equate to size of fan base? 

As a Protestant I always looked for a Rangers win in an Old Firm game. Rangers v anyone else; not arsed. I never bought a Rangers shirt or any other Rangers merchandise or attended a game. But I did shout “Rangers” in turn. Did this add me to Rangers’ fan base?

Outside of Glasgow who really gives a shiny shite about either of them even in the old firm?

United play Liverpool and its a global event

Celtic play Hearts who bats an eyelid? 
Rangers play Hibs, arsed

They somehow think they’re one of the biggest teams in the world when they’re not. 
In today’s modern game worldwide  fanBase is based on social media followers. Real Barca & United are giants on it and generate huge views and revenue without even kicking a ball

32 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Outside of Glasgow who really gives a shiny shite about either of them even in the old firm?

Rangers play Hibs, arsed

They somehow think they’re one of the biggest teams in the world when they’re not. 
In today’s modern game worldwide  fanBase is based on social media followers. Real Barca & United are giants on it and generate huge views and revenue without even kicking a ball

Much the same could be argued about Liverpool v Brentford, Barcelona v Villarreal, Juventus v Lecce etc etc.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Much the same could be argued about Liverpool v Brentford, Barcelona v Villarreal, Juventus v Lecce etc etc.

I guarantee there would be more people watching 

Edited by Rudy

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I guarantee there would be more people watching 

For a Premier League, maybe, but La Liga or Serie A? No chance. I hate both of the Old Firm arse cheeks with a passion and it may be a global reach based almost entirely on bigotry, but to me there’s absolutely no doubting their global reach, particularly with the 8th generation types in America. 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Rangers play Hibs, arsed

This really does show how very little you know about the world of football. Due to their “Celtic” roots, Celtic FC have fans all over the world, which is why in European competitions they are regularly one of the best supported away teams in Europe. Do your research before you make a complete twat of yourself.

• Members
41 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

For a Premier League, maybe, but La Liga or Serie A? No chance. I hate both of the Old Firm arse cheeks with a passion and it may be a global reach based almost entirely on bigotry, but to me there’s absolutely no doubting their global reach, particularly with the 8th generation types in America. 

Juventus hit 2.4m average tv views

Real & Barca 1.2m average

Dortmund 1.2

Schlake 1.2

Bayern 1.9

Celtix 400k

rangers 385k 

Their record for an old firm game is 1.4m

Worldwide El Classico can hit 50M easy 

• Members
1 minute ago, SirNatsDog said:

This really does show how very little you know about the world of football. Due to their “Celtic” roots, Celtic FC have fans all over the world, which is why in European competitions they are regularly one of the best supported away teams in Europe. Do your research before you make a complete twat of yourself.

How little I know about football?

😂

Only been involved in professional football for 12 years.

Don't call me a twat again

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

How little I know about football?

😂

Only been involved in professional football for 12 years.

Don't call me a twat again

Then don’t talk like one. Calling Celtic a pub team is just stupid with the fan base they’ve got all over the world. It’s impossible for any calculations to be made accurately for any team but Celtic have massive support and to put it into perspective, according to some of the sites quoting figures, Chelsea are one of the best supported. Seriously, not a chance. Like you I don’t rate Celtic as a club and the Scottish league is poor but I don’t question Celtics worldwide fan base one bit.

I’ve worked in the Far East and Africa and there does seem to be a lot of United fans, even though they’ve never been. The other noticeable thing mentioned, especially in Africa was “London is the best city in the world” even though they hadn’t been to London.

• Members
1 hour ago, SirNatsDog said:

Then don’t talk like one. Calling Celtic a pub team is just stupid with the fan base they’ve got all over the world. It’s impossible for any calculations to be made accurately for any team but Celtic have massive support and to put it into perspective, according to some of the sites quoting figures, Chelsea are one of the best supported. Seriously, not a chance. Like you I don’t rate Celtic as a club and the Scottish league is poor but I don’t question Celtics worldwide fan base one bit.

Show me where I called them a pub team.

Fact is they aren’t one of the biggest clubs in the world and they are nowhere near one of the biggest supported. It ain’t the 70’s anymore. Times have changed, things have moved on and neither them or Rangers are the worldwide juggernaut you’re claiming them to be.

You silly twat.

Edited by Rudy