Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Traf said:

Is that all?

You get £170m for finishing bottom of the PL, then the thick end of £2m a place, so they'll have made over £200m just from PL.

19M euros for winning the CL

15M for runners up

EDIT

that's just the prize for being the winner in the final - apparently they made £66M in CL prize money in total 

and another £31M in CL TV money

https://www.90min.com/posts/6381870-liverpool-s-total-earnings-in-prize-money-for-champions-league-triumph-over-tottenham-revealed

Edited by ZicoKelly

Liverpool paid £67 million for their goalkeeper and £75 million for Van Dijk so have two more expensive players than City whose record signing is Mahrez at £60 million. And Liverpool paid £52 million for Keita last summer

Of course its only Man City who buy their trophies

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

19M euros for winning the CL

15M for runners up

EDIT

that's just the prize for being the winner in the final - apparently they made £66M in CL prize money in total 

and another £31M in CL TV money

https://www.90min.com/posts/6381870-liverpool-s-total-earnings-in-prize-money-for-champions-league-triumph-over-tottenham-revealed

The figure I posted was tv money throw together with prize money it’s a fooking lot 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Liverpool paid £67 million for their goalkeeper and £75 million for Van Dijk so have two more expensive players than City whose record signing is Mahrez at £60 million. And Liverpool paid £52 million for Keita last summer

Well no one can accuse Liverpool of buying the league

3 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The Coutinho money kind of helped with that though.

Unlike your mob who have always been massive spenders, trophies have kind of dried up though. Shame.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

A bloke connected with Liverpool told me when Klopp arrived that he'd already identified his transfer targets including Van Dijk and was waiting to sign them. He waited over a year for Van Dijk but got his man at what now looks like a bargain price, even though Klopp himself reckoned they overpaid. Do they pocket the money to repay the investment or go again? John Barnes reckons they don't need to sign anybody with Gomez  and Ox coming back from injury but I don't think they've got the strength in depth that City have however I have no doubt Klopp has already worked out what he needs because he's a smart cookie so I'd expect a few signings - which on the surface of things might not look spectacular but will probably turn out to be good buys in the longer term. His genial media face belies the fact that he can spot talent (at Mainz 05 in particular), his excellent forward planning and his ability to be ahead of the game when it comes to signings as opposed to throwing money at obvious buys. Unless success has caused him to change his ways, I don't think he'll spend a fortune on Dybala and maybe he'll get Fekir but I would expect him to spend less on punts. Difficulty is that he's got good defenders and a rock solid, hard working midfield so the only place I can see him spending serious money is on getting better players than Salah and Firminho and he may have to sell first if the money men want their investment back.

Potentially a tough window for Klopp coming up if he's going to keep the momentum going.

• Site Supporter

How on earth can £75m or whatever it was seem like a bargain when we are crying out for someone to take a full club forward with only a third of that money - and we are struggling to find it?

Football is rotten to the core. Stinks of money and we throw about some figures like they are really not that much. They are. £75m is an enormous amount for anyone.

8 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Apart from Leicester, who else hasn’t bought the title? I’m sure the winner usually has one of the biggest, if not biggest budgets in the league 

Until Leicester came along every previous Premier League Winner were in top 5 wage bills. Leicester when they won it were in bottom 5 wage bills for that season..

Not turning into Malc just read 'The Mixer' about football tactics in prem league era. Sounds very dry but excellent read with a chapter on Big Sam and other mentions of us. Highly recommend it.

• Site Supporter

The more popular England away days have always attracted a fair share of knobheads, it’s the main reason I don’t go to these any more. That said, law of averages says plenty will be idiots but there’s also loads of good sorts

4 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

This years community shield will be on a Thursday night

both clubs should just sack it off 

What a joke, can't the club's/FA just sack the game and donate to charities? Liverpool have to go to Qatar in december to play teams I've never heard of as reward for winning the CL. I bet they'll be buzzing for that.