Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

45 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Sold 30k in 5 hours Pompey 

And some say their support isn’t all that 

Thank God we didnt get to the final of that.  What a laugh that would have been, 12k BW fans and 50k Pompey.  Simiply shouldnt be played at Wembley, its biased towards Southern teams.  If it was played at Old Trafford there would be maybe 10k Salford and 20k Pompey.  For once I feel sorry for Salford, except for the fact that they'll make a load of money that they can spend on improving their squad further for next season.

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Thank God we didnt get to the final of that.  What a laugh that would have been, 12k BW fans and 50k Pompey.  Simiply shouldnt be played at Wembley, its biased towards Southern teams.  If it was played at Old Trafford there would be maybe 10k Salford and 20k Pompey.  For once I feel sorry for Salford, except for the fact that they'll make a load of money that they can spend on improving their squad further for next season.

No danger. Pompey would take whatever allocation they were given for old trafford in that scenario. And Salford simply couldn’t muster 10k even got old trafford. Not a chance. Maybe if they were playing united in the cup but not in that trophy not a chance. 

you really need to get over this idea you have that Pompey don’t have a very very strong support. It’s evident a number of times now and it’s simply nonsense 

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fratton Park holds less than 20k so, like Southampton at the Dell (15k) and Bournemouth (10k) they dont have the option of big crowds for one off games to increase their average, and can only accommodate about 2k away fans.  Norwich similar with 25k ceiling.

Due to building a supermarket and moving to a smaller ground than Burnden pre supermarket, it's been 40 years since we've been able to let Man Utd bring what they want.There were 15,000 plus of them on Burnden Park in 1980 but since then its been 3,000 - 5,000 max.In 13 seasons in the Premier League we've  probably missed out on  100,000 Man Utd fans.Even Chelsea would probably have brought another 10,000 for their title winning match

3 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Due to building a supermarket and moving to a smaller ground than Burnden pre supermarket, it's been 40 years since we've been able to let Man Utd bring what they want.There were 15,000 plus of them on Burnden Park in 1980 but since then its been 3,000 - 5,000 max.In 13 seasons in the Premier League we've  probably missed out on  100,000 Man Utd fans.Even Chelsea would probably have brought another 10,000 for their title winning match

Missed out??? Fuck off. The lower the number of you and them Rags the better. Fuck the money would rather see an empty away end 

3 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The point is Portsmouth aren't the only club whose all time average gate would be higher if their ground was bigger

Course they aren’t Cos it’s a stupid point to make in the first place as we all know. No need to bring that manky set of cunts into every post though 

9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fratton Park holds less than 20k so, like Southampton at the Dell (15k) and Bournemouth (10k) they dont have the option of big crowds for one off games to increase their average, and can only accommodate about 2k away fans.  Norwich similar with 25k ceiling.

The Dell had a greater capacity than that for many years, the record being over 31,000

Same with Carrow Road

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

It would be an awful draw for them which is why I hope they get it.I'm sure 5,000 of them would be able to find £400 for a couple of days in Seville

As would anyone

They've been to OT before

51 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

As would anyone

They've been to OT before

Exactly. 
it’s a stupid point. Like saying we spend fortunes going abroad on summer hold but refuse to do same in Blackpool or something. 

@Roger_Dubuis I’m short tempered at the minute so please fuck off with your united love in for a while. Many thanks 

in fact please just fuck off. Extra special thanks 

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Exactly. 
it’s a stupid point. Like saying we spend fortunes going abroad on summer hold but refuse to do same in Blackpool or something. 

@Roger_Dubuis I’m short tempered at the minute so please fuck off with your united love in for a while. Many thanks 

in fact please just fuck off. Extra special thanks 

I can only applaud your manners for having the decency to put a please in there😁

13 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

But nobody has that capacity for away fans, ours is probably as big as any in Prem/Championship in recent seasons (MK Dons are a complete exception, tiny club, huge ground).  Being honest I wasnt thinking of "all time" I was more thinking about modern times, when capacities are lower since all seater stadiums, my mistake.  Still valid to say in last 20+ years Pompey's crowds would have been nearer 30k in top 2 divisions if they had capacity, they dont have the option of 4 or 5k away fans like we do and Norwich were selling out 25k in Div 1 and cant go above that in the Prem.

4 hours ago, boltondiver said:

The Dell had a greater capacity than that for many years, the record being over 31,000

Same with Carrow Road

True.  I was thinking of modern times, their averages in last 30 years or whatever would be far higher with bigger stadiums; in comparison the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, PNE, Burnley and us could have 50k capacities and home attendances would be virtually unchanged

13 hours ago, Escobarp said:

No danger. Pompey would take whatever allocation they were given for old trafford in that scenario. And Salford simply couldn’t muster 10k even got old trafford. Not a chance. Maybe if they were playing united in the cup but not in that trophy not a chance. 

you really need to get over this idea you have that Pompey don’t have a very very strong support. It’s evident a number of times now and it’s simply nonsense 

Not sure what you mean, course they've got a big support, I've never said anything different.  I commented on their away following once not being massive when compared to home support, its decent but no bigger than our's in my opinion, given similar success on the pitch (pro rata home fans).  In my opinion no Div 1 club is going to take more than 20, maybe 25k max, 250 miles for a minor cup final that isnt at Wembley.  Again just my opinion but Salford would need 10k tickets to play at OT simply because there would be a load of Man U related hangers on, loads would turn up similar to if Chorley played at Macron, I bet half the crowd would be BW fans.

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure what you mean, course they've got a big support, I've never said anything different.  I commented on their away following once not being massive when compared to home support, its decent but no bigger than our's in my opinion, given similar success on the pitch (pro rata home fans).  In my opinion no Div 1 club is going to take more than 20, maybe 25k max, 250 miles for a minor cup final that isnt at Wembley.  Again just my opinion but Salford would need 10k tickets to play at OT simply because there would be a load of Man U related hangers on, loads would turn up similar to if Chorley played at Macron, I bet half the crowd would be BW fans.

All about opinions 

but for me they’re better supported than us