Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

I’ve not seen much of wolves as don’t watch much prem football. Built like a tank. If he’s got an end product then I don’t see how he gets stopped and will defo Ned up at one of the bigger clubs. 

although summat tells me he was at Barcelona but I could be talking shit 

I think they’ll regret letting him go now.

He’s added goals and assists to his game this year.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Whitesince63 said:

Wolves were the most likely for Reidy and offering Terry Wharton as part of the deal. After Reidy returned from the injury we got a measly 60k and ended up paying 70k for Wharton. Just about sums our luck up.

Wharton was 10yrs earlier.... 

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

Could the shite first touch be down to playing on a bobbly park pitch ? . don’t think it was chungys fault the guy came flying in on a pre season friendly . it was a double break don’t forget 

Possibly - remember speaking to Kev Davies a few weeks after that and he said that chungy was flying that pre-season.  A real body blow for sure.  Just hope this isn’t the same for politic.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Wolves were the most likely for Reidy and offering Terry Wharton as part of the deal. After Reidy returned from the injury we got a measly 60k and ended up paying 70k for Wharton. Just about sums our luck up.

16 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Wharton was 10yrs earlier.... 

Yep, Wharton was a ‘replacement’ for Franny Lee.

Cost £10k more than what we sold Lee for, but was just half as good.

Just checked his autobiography.  It was when Greaves had just been sacked and Reid was gutted so asked to leave, we offered him £800 a week to sign a new contract, turned it down. So we stopped him training with the team and he trained with Wigan,  their 2nd season in the league.  Wolves were trying to sign him, they had Emlyn Hughes and Andy Gray.  Offered him £1100 a week.  We demanded £600k but they wouldnt pay that much; then Reid went to Arsenal and ageed terms and they agreed to pay £600k. But Reid wanted % of the transfer fee and it got delayed; when Terry Neill heard about that he pulled out, and signed Peter Nicholas soon after.  Wolves came in again and it fell through again.  Reid gave in and signed a week to week contract with us just to get back on the pitch.  September 81 he broke his leg at Barnsley in 2 places (his leg, not Barnsley) and didnt play again till April.  We were in no position to get a decent fee when he finally went. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, frank_spencer said:

Wolves as a club I can't stand.

The team of players and Nuno as a manager I can't but like watching.

Same. I very begrudgingly enjoy the football they play. Would be better if they couldn’t defend though and lost a few more

• Members
30 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve not seen much of wolves as don’t watch much prem football. Built like a tank. If he’s got an end product then I don’t see how he gets stopped and will defo Ned up at one of the bigger clubs. 

although summat tells me he was at Barcelona but I could be talking shit 

Yeah he was there 

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just checked his autobiography.  It was when Greaves had just been sacked and Reid was gutted so asked to leave, we offered him £800 a week to sign a new contract, turned it down. So we stopped him training with the team and he trained with Wigan,  their 2nd season in the league.  Wolves were trying to sign him, they had Emlyn Hughes and Andy Gray.  Offered him £1100 a week.  We demanded £600k but they wouldnt pay that much; then Reid went to Arsenal and ageed terms and they agreed to pay £600k. But Reid wanted % of the transfer fee and it got delayed; when Terry Neill heard about that he pulled out, and signed Peter Nicholas soon after.  Wolves came in again and it fell through again.  Reid gave in and signed a week to week contract with us just to get back on the pitch.  September 81 he broke his leg at Barnsley in 2 places (his leg, not Barnsley) and didnt play again till April.  We were in no position to get a decent fee when he finally went. 

That’s a good find new there was a arsenal and Ian greaves getting sacked connection thought the money was higher . Cheers 

18 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Memory is a very funny thing, I thought that I'd seen George Wood break Reidy's leg on the icy pitch at Burden on New Year's Day. We played Everton and the game was abandoned at half-time. Where the fuck have I got that from? 🤔

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Wolves as a club I can't stand.

The team of players and Nuno as a manager I can't but like watching.

Same here, good squad

Was surprised to see Traore is Spanish

7 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Memory is a very funny thing, I thought that I'd seen George Wood break Reidy's leg on the icy pitch at Burden on New Year's Day. We played Everton and the game was abandoned at half-time. Where the fuck have I got that from? 🤔

Definitely Everton was there as kid remember it walking home in the snow at half time  . Was Barnsley a second break did he break is leg twice ? Don’t remember that one 

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

I remember him at the Reebok when he played for Boro.

I honestly turned to my mate and said  ‘It’s not fair, this’.

He’s probably one of the best players ever in the championship/Div 2.

You beat me to it.  It was Robinson's first or 2nd game for us, I felt sorry for him, but relieved Andy Taylor hadnt been picked instead - imagine that!  I said after game it was best I've seen an individual play against us at Reebok since Gerrard used to run rings around us.