Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

45 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Memory is a very funny thing, I thought that I'd seen George Wood break Reidy's leg on the icy pitch at Burden on New Year's Day. We played Everton and the game was abandoned at half-time. Where the fuck have I got that from? 🤔

You're completely right, definitely Christmas 78 or New Years Day 79.  Yes Barnsley was nearly 3 years later, a 2nd terrible injury.  He talks at length about it in his book, how he feared his career was over when George Wood did him.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You're completely right, definitely Christmas 78 or New Years Day 79.  Yes Barnsley was nearly 3 years later, a 2nd terrible injury.  He talks at length about it in his book, how he feared his career was over when George Wood did him.

I was at both games, was Barnsley broken leg or ACL? As can’t remember for sure. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good pics posted by LW on earlier thread

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was definitely New Year's Day. I'd forgotten that he played for is until 1982 though.

• Members
12 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

You are being too generous. Him and Gareth Williams were huge and expensive flops.

Unless my memory is deceiving me, I distinctly remember Williams' home debut. Norwich City and we won 2-0 in a monsoon I recall. Williams scored a cracker from a fair way out which aquaplaned into the bottom corner at the Lever End end. At that moment, I thought we'd signed a superstar.

Remember his sports store opposite Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe?

• Members
12 hours ago, leigh white said:

Hugh Curran was a belter though.

Was it him or Ralph Wright you could drive a motor bike through his legs? Properly bow legged. Seem to remember it was Curran. Pretty sure he played when we had the all white strip with the red numbers?

13 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Wolves were the most likely for Reidy and offering Terry Wharton as part of the deal. After Reidy returned from the injury we got a measly 60k and ended up paying 70k for Wharton. Just about sums our luck up.

Peter Reid was still in his nappies when Terry Wharton was playing for us, 1968-70

18 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Was it him or Ralph Wright you could drive a motor bike through his legs? Properly bow legged. Seem to remember it was Curran. Pretty sure he played when we had the all white strip with the red numbers?

Curran played for us 1974 onwards. Think it was 1969/71 we played all white. We changed to white shirts blue shorts for the 1971/72 season, when we was relegated to the old division three.

45 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

He came in 74 so it would be the White shirts/Navy shorts.

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

Or Hoppy (Alan Boswell) or Freddie.

Speaking of 1960s centre forwards, I noticed from the BN obituaries this week that Ernie Phythian had passed away, in South Africa.  Another, along with Eric Redrobe, from the post-Nat Lofthouse barren years.