Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

Probably brings home to me how little interest I have in the Prem as I reckon Silva's 10 years have completely passed me by. So many stars bought in to that side that none of them particularly stand out as statue-worthy in my mind, not like Henry at Arsenal. Would understand one for Aguero winning the league, though that would be for the 'moment' rather than the player. Not that I could have given a fuck who won the league that day (and still don't).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

It’s not as if they’ve any other history really than the last few years so leave them alone at building a club and something to look back on I say. Somewhere to reminisce about the glory years when the sheikhs get bored and they are rattling round in the emptihad in league one 

read they putting on up for Kompany as well

they'll have to do one for Aguero and Toure too, and any other half decent player they've had since they first started winning things

the cut off point is Joe Hart

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

they'll have to do one for Aguero and Toure too, and any other half decent player they've had since they first started winning things

Tragic really when you think about it 

• Members
19 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Yaya and Joe had a training pitch named after them 

Silva and Kompany both did over 10 years so they got one as will Aguero I would have imagined when he leaves 

Henry and Bergkamp both have statues at The Emirates, neither have won as much as Silva and Kompany and no one battered an eyelid there 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Silva and Kompany both did over 10 years so they got one as will Aguero I would have imagined when he leaves 

Henry and Bergkamp both have statues at The Emirates, neither have won as much as Silva and Kompany and no one battered an eyelid there 

Spose it's the modern day testimonial

I don't think anyone alive should have a statue made, it's just a bit odd

Like tribute bands for acts that are still going, pointless

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

Spose it's the modern day testimonial

I don't think anyone alive should have a statue made, it's just a bit odd

Like tribute bands for acts that are still going, pointless

I reckon they'll be arranging a game/testimonial v Sociedad when crowds are allowed back in to give him a proper send off that they couldn't this season.

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Henry and Bergkamp were both game changers for Arsenal though, going above and beyond to inspire them to levels they hadn't had before (or since). Were City changed by Silva arriving and will they change on the back of his departure? Or is he just a good player in a good team?

• Members
3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Henry and Bergkamp were both game changers for Arsenal though, going above and beyond to inspire them to levels they hadn't had before (or since). Were City changed by Silva arriving and will they change on the back of his departure? Or is he just a good player in a good team?

He’s the best player to ever play for them. Bar absolutely no one.

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

He’s the best player to ever play for them. Bar absolutely no one.

Fair enough. I don't see him as being particularly synonymous with City in the same way as Bergkamp, Henry, Nat or....Jacko, nor even necessarily a name that will crop up in future, but maybe that's my disconnect from the Premier League in which case I will bow to your more informed opinion.

28 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fair enough. I don't see him as being particularly synonymous with City in the same way as Bergkamp, Henry, Nat or....Jacko, nor even necessarily a name that will crop up in future, but maybe that's my disconnect from the Premier League in which case I will bow to your more informed opinion.

Nor do I really, a good player no doubt. Though people who are saying he's one of the Premier League greats have clearly been on the crack pipe.

• Members
5 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Nor do I really, a good player no doubt. Though people who are saying he's one of the Premier League greats have clearly been on the crack pipe.

Four PL titles ( more than Gerrard And Viera combined) 

5 league cups

2 FA cups

one world cup

two European championships

60 PL goals.

in The PFA Team of the year twice

Hes one of the best.

Just now, Rudy said:

Four PL titles ( more than Gerrard And Viera combined) 

5 league cups

2 FA cups

one world cup

two European championships

60 PL goals.

in The PFA Team of the year twice

Hes one of the best.

There will be a few at City with similar records though presumably?

He was one of their "catalyst" players, if you look at their signings since the takeover

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/01/manchester-city-all-signings-10-years-abu-dhabi-united-group

Then it wasn't really until that 2010/11 season that City really started getting it right, could easily put up a statue to Kompany, Aguero, Yaya and others too but Silva has been everpresent in that team since 2010 under Mancini, Pellegrini, Pep. Kompany's had his injuries, Yaya had his birthday cake strop and Aguero is still there.

Great player, as legendary as Henry? Maybe not to everyone else but to City fans, probably. And represents a turning point in their history I guess.

Edited by Mantra

30 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Four PL titles ( more than Gerrard And Viera combined) - averaged 30 apps per season inc subs in those 4 titles, plus ave 7 goals in same seasons. 

5 league cups 

2 FA cups - shitty Arsenal won 4 in the same decade

one world cup - he didn't play in the final

two European championships - came off after 59 & 66 minutes respectively in the finals

60 PL goals. - 6 per year isn't exactly thrilling

in The PFA Team of the year twice - wow!

Never came close to winning a Champions League in that time,

Hes one of the best.

Edit: I do still think he's been a good player, just not a great.

Edited by jeep

As he's not a goal scorer he doesn't get the headlines of others.

But his ability is streets ahead of the vast majority in his 10yrs in the prem.

He'll quite rightly be remembered as a legend at city and as one of the key players for one of the dominant sides during his time over here he should be the same for English football.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

As he's not a goal scorer he doesn't get the headlines of others.

But his ability is streets ahead of the vast majority in his 10yrs in the prem.

He'll quite rightly be remembered as a legend at city and as one of the key players for one of the dominant sides during his time over here he should be the same for English football.

Agree.

The likes of Henry would want themselves senseless having someone like him around. Feeding passes, making things happen. Not shying away from the ball and happy to take responsibility for it.

Not averse to a bit of graft to get it back either.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Henry and Bergkamp were both game changers for Arsenal though, going above and beyond to inspire them to levels they hadn't had before

Be Sean Goater next week then

• Members
2 hours ago, jeep said:

Edit: I do still think he's been a good player, just not a great.

So out of interest what qualifies a great then? Because 10 years at the top level with a decorated record in my book is a great. 
he’s been instrumental In City’s success, he’s the man who assists the assist.

If you look at the way City have played in particular under Pep, he has his back to goal, before he gets the ball he knows what’s he’s gonna do, he’s already looked over both shoulders, gets the ball, turns ball out wide into the box, chance. You can’t teach it, he’s instinctively one of the most natural footballers I have ever seen, and did it whilst winning trophy after trophy. 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So out of interest what qualifies a great then? Because 10 years at the top level with a decorated record in my book is a great. 
he’s been instrumental In City’s success, he’s the man who assists the assist.

If you look at the way City have played in particular under Pep, he has his back to goal, before he gets the ball he knows what’s he’s gonna do, he’s already looked over both shoulders, gets the ball, turns ball out wide into the box, chance. You can’t teach it, he’s instinctively one of the most natural footballers I have ever seen, and did it whilst winning trophy after trophy. 

And just as important to me is that he is a player I could watch all day long & a consummate professional. 

• Members
28 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

And just as important to me is that he is a player I could watch all day long & a consummate professional. 

Always knew you were a man of taste Ronnie

6 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Apparently seventh tier downwards can open gates to fans now 

That’s right send the canaries down the mine first