Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Sky have just been showing Lamelas goal from all angles. It’s Bergkamp kinda genius 

Great skill, but is it necessary?

If the right foot step over moves an opponent just enough to all the ball to creep past, then I can get it.

Other than that, it seems a bit of flamboyant nonsense: surely the technique is more difficult than just curling it in with the right peg.

Each to their own, but not really my bag.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Great skill, but is it necessary?

If the right foot step over moves an opponent just enough to all the ball to creep past, then I can get it.

Other than that, it seems a bit of flamboyant nonsense: surely the technique is more difficult than just curling it in with the right peg.

Each to their own, but not really my bag.

It’s the pinpoint accuracy, if he curled it, the speed would Have been taken out of it. I’ve seen him so it a few times so I don’t think he has much faith in his right foot 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

It’s the pinpoint accuracy, if he curled it, the speed would Have been taken out of it. I’ve seen him so it a few times so I don’t think he has much faith in his right foot 

That's true enough, still not sure that a week right is worse than a left peg round the back.

6 minutes ago, jeep said:

Any professional football player should be able to kick the ball as well with either foot....

It's not like they don't have time to practice....

When you see clips of Maradona and Messi as kids, they were born with a magic left foot, they didn't learn it.  Relatively they are poor with their right feet, it doesn't change significantly with practise.  Beckham's free kicks, Okocha's skill, both completely right footed because that's where their gifts were.  You've either got it or you haven't.

• Members
21 minutes ago, jeep said:

Any professional football player should be able to kick the ball as well with either foot....

It's not like they don't have time to practice....

That’s like saying a darts,snooker,tennis  player can just as well with their other hand. In theory yeah they should, but they’re gonna spend the time perfecting their stronger side to make that brilliant.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

That’s like saying a darts,snooker,tennis  player can just as well with their other hand. In theory yeah they should, but they’re gonna spend the time perfecting their stronger side to make that brilliant.

Ronnie O'Sullivan? 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Not quite is it really. Everyone has a stronger foot, but should be able to do a bit with the weaker one. Necessary even if just to help with a dribble.

Snooker players have rests to help where the shot would necessitate use of the wrong hand, and no bugger trying to take the ball off them.

• Site Supporter

Played at a decent level and I can pretty much put it where I want with my right foot, bend it left or right etc, but like a spaz with my left foot. Same with handwriting, can only do it with my right hand.

Strange thing is, my left hand is my wanking hand, think it must feel like someone else is doing it.

Anyway, most pro's are one footed

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not quite is it really. Everyone has a stronger foot, but should be able to do a bit with the weaker one. Necessary even if just to help with a dribble.

Snooker players have rests to help where the shot would necessitate use of the wrong hand, and no bugger trying to take the ball off them.

Battle Snooker. If it isn't already a thing,  it should be. 

It'd certainly get the Pot Black ratings back up to their 1970s level

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Traf said:

They'd need a new name 😉

Certainly if they sold viewing rights in America. Imagine the pro-gun NRA member’s disappointment when the viewers realised it was about a big pool game instead of a shooting programme made by the KKK.

16 hours ago, Rudy said:

Rafael Nadal is naturally right handed.....

The point I'm making is that practice makes you better at something. 

I'm naturally right footed. I practiced kicking a football with my left foot when I was a kid. Didn't spend a lot of time doing it, was still using my right foot. I ended up with the same ability with both feet. Some would say shit ability!!! 

I should've practiced heading a ball, I was useless!!