Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Piss Poor Headline From Bolton News

Smiffs

Piffle

It suppresses (or attempts to suppress) greed,capitalism and class driven prejudice.

it always goes against human nature imo. If I do a stressful job & work my bits off I'd want more return than someone doing an easy stress free part time job.

it always goes against human nature imo. If I do a stressful job & work my bits off I'd want more return than someone doing an easy stress free part time job.

Have you worked your bits off all day,everyday for the entirety of your working life??

Rampant consumer-led capitalism is as hopefully as doomed to fail as communism was. People will always strive and want to do the best they possibly can in their field, and that should be rewarded, but working oneself into the ground just to feed a machine - folk won't do that forever...

There's an old adage "I just want to give my kids things I didn't have..." - which was pretty noble once upon a time, but where's it going to end? What are the 'things I didn't have' going to be in fifty years time, a small electric powered Ferrari Testarossa (or has that already happened)? I didn't do so badly as a kid, I don't think I'm alone in that, the kids' arms race and "I need X because everyone has got one" has probably been going on since we were in the caves, it probably needs to be curbed a bit these days...

Surely, eventually, when you're paying someone else to; walk your dog, cook your food, clean your house, bring up your children and the milkman is sh*gging your wife (or husband) because you spend every waking hour working, the novelty of the trinkets you reward yourself with begins to wear thin?

This isn't some commie diatribe against capitalism, anyone with half a brain can see a good portion of our development and freedoms have come through enterprise and free movement of goods and services, certain people thrive on grafting and certain jobs and industries need grafters - but, I'd argue, the post-war promotion of the concept of a certain type of 'American' freedom - freedom to consume (that sits uneasily alongside that country's many real and noble concepts of freedom) has gone far enough.

It's something (readdressing the work/life balance) that folk will do organically I reckon' - 'keeping up with the Joneses' is, fingers crossed, becoming a bit of a naff concept, and I think this is a good thing. The Swedish have a term for it - 'Lagom', and they seem to be doing alreet, the women seem especially alreet.

That hasn't been some polemic against wanting to better oneself or improve living standards, it isn't an attack on folk who like the nicer things in life, and I'm aware that some of the worst culprits for 'keeping up with the Joneses' keep up using BrightHouse and benefits payments, and well, they should be shot...*

* or take a moment to think that, for example, paying £X more to be a walking billboard for a fashion company should be a lower priority than keeping food in the cupboard or the electric and gas connected.

(That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Smelly Smash The State Anarchist Lesbian Party 2014.)

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Moaning about capitalism from the iphone or laptop using global communication networks - fucking hell I don't know where to start taking the piss on that front.

On this planet is a food chain. Once everyone realises it and stops thinking we live in a social utopia, we can then move on.

Mt Ant is really pissed off because he trudges around in the shit and the dust all day carrying ten times his bodyweight in twigs, when Mr Lion lies in the shade licking his bollocks.

Mr Jones is really pissed off because he works his bollocks off delivering leaflets, but Mr Rooney kicks a ball and is a multi millionaire.

It's life. Trying to change it is futile. The hunter-gather instinct is what has kept us on this planet for so long. Some hunted and ended up driving range rovers, some sat at home and ended up with an overflowing ashtray and daytime telly.

Moaning about capitalism from the iphone or laptop using global communication networks - fucking hell I don't know where to start taking the piss on that front.

On this planet is a food chain. Once everyone realises it and stops thinking we live in a social utopia, we can then move on.

Mt Ant is really pissed off because he trudges around in the shit and the dust all day carrying ten times his bodyweight in twigs, when Mr Lion lies in the shade licking his bollocks.

Mr Jones is really pissed off because he works his bollocks off delivering leaflets, but Mr Rooney kicks a ball and is a multi millionaire.

It's life. Trying to change it is futile. The hunter-gather instinct is what has kept us on this planet for so long. Some hunted and ended up driving range rovers, some sat at home and ended up with an overflowing ashtray and daytime telly.

That about sums it up :thumbsup:

It is changing though.

More people are beginning to judge their quality of life on factors other than what baubles they've managed to accumulate...

It's not coached in petty jealousy, this ethos, how can it be if you don't want the bleeding stuff in the first place?

(and that concept will be f*cking tricky for some to grasp).

• Members

Repeating a line used in a response in another thread recently, it's a funny thing - the harder I work, the luckier I get.

Two comments after that - under a communist system, working harder would just lead me to a grave quicker. I would still be queuing for bread and driving the mechanical equivalent of a donkey in my 'free' time.

Maybe the handout seekers should be given more of an incentive to work? 

Perhaps the older poster have a thought on this hypothesis, the workplace has become more businesslike and efficient...

Previously; wastrels, glassbacks and shirkers would be given some nominal role - on the market, down the pit, on a production-line, in an office - wherever.

They'd be more of a hindrance than help, a pain in the arse, and apt to cause resentment - because they did fuck all and still received a pay packet with a contents not a million miles from those in the same employ who were strangulating their hernia further day-in day-out with their endeavours.

Now times are leaner (1990s onwards), business has to be more streamlined, so the same folk who'd have been on a semi-perpetual fag, tea and piss break are now on a full-time fag, cider and big telly break. The cost is now footed direct by the taxpayer, instead of said slackers being in 'employ' and revenue being lost through inefficiency - contributing to poorer production and higher running costs = less money tipped up to the government by firms (if they actually cough something up - which most do).

Other than mass-execution, there's not much else one can do*. I think succesive governments realise this, and apart from a bit of shuffling of the pack via moving unemployed onto the long term sick and the setting up of 'back to work' schemes by the mates of both parties, like a4e (for which they receive a very healthy butty), there's not much real effort been made to tackle the problem.

* Well, there is, but it wouldn't work, but details can be provided on request.

• Site Supporter

You're misconstruing me pointing out my take on the situation with a defence of the feckless.

If you want to know what an 'unemployable' is, have a mooch down into Bolton town centre.

I suspect you already know (what I meant by 'unemployable').

The unemployable do exist and it's mainly through their own actions that thhey come across that way..

I've had people sat in interviews quiet as a mouse.. Stinking of booze /week. Swearing like a trooper, and then wondering why they don't get a job.

You want to have these unemployables employed? Fair dos.

Are you going to employ some?

No. Why? Because they never answer the adverts we place in the job centres. We get the odd wanker applying because he's been told to but usually sort that one out by arranging an interview for 7am.

I could easily employ another 20 men next week. All they need to do is get to a building site somewhere in the north every day by 7:30 and work hard. It's a fairly simple requirement.

In return we pay anything between £9 and £16ph. Nobody is on minimum wage at our place.

Can I find them?

Can I fuck.

Why?

Because they are fucking lazy.

Again, no argument.

I wonder how Danny Creamer is getting on these days?

I genuinely believe some of these lazy sods, given a chance to break the cycle of lazy cuntiness, seeing what an extra £150, or so, a week can do for their quality of life and what self-esteem it gives to have earned it - they'd turn it around. If you don't believe that then it's nowt but despair is it?

I also believe that some simply don't like working, and that they've been around since time immemorial, it's just that previously those of this ilk 'worked' - in the loosest possible terms, and probably pissed off the rest of their colleagues in the process of carrying out this 'work'...

Regarding the undeserving claimants and 'benefits culture' - If they stopped with the handouts, they (the 'unemployables') wouldn't suddenly pull their socks up and start grafting, and even if they did try, who'd employ them? They've f*ck all to offer in their current state. No, if they, the government, stopped the money they receive they wouldn't find work or curl up to die in the gutter, they'd do what smackheads do now; robbing, begging, pimping, dealing and general thievery and scrotiness and causing a complete nuisance to all and sundry.

I think the government, present and past, realise this and find it far more expedient to pacify them with benefits. This is my take on the situation, it's not my belief of the rights (or wrongs) of this.